* Re:WG:  EIO DM-8401H ATA133 IDE Controller Card ( Silicon Image Chip ?!?)
@ 2003-10-30 13:12 Shaheed
From: Shaheed @ 2003-10-30 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: michael

Interestingly, EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. I actually bought a
vanilla IDE controller for a spare disk, and in what showed up the
documentation claimed it was a DM-8401R, but lspci shows what you see: and
IT8212.

The answer was to get the good stuff from here:

http://www.iteusa.com/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller

The driver install was a doddle (well documented, and easy to apply Mandrake
9.1 instructions to 9.2). For heavens sake: these guys even provide the specs
online. And the driver seems to work, though I am not stressing it.

Thanks, Shaheed

* Re: WG:  EIO DM-8401H ATA133 IDE Controller Card ( Silicon Image Chip ?!?)
@ 2003-10-30 14:24 ` Jeff Garzik
From: Jeff Garzik @ 2003-10-30 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Shaheed; +Cc: linux-kernel, michael

Shaheed wrote:
> Interestingly, EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. I actually bought a
> vanilla IDE controller for a spare disk, and in what showed up the
> documentation claimed it was a DM-8401R, but lspci shows what you see: and
> IT8212.
>
> The answer was to get the good stuff from here:
>
> http://www.iteusa.com/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Controller
>
> The driver install was a doddle (well documented, and easy to apply Mandrake
> 9.1 instructions to 9.2). For heavens sake: these guys even provide the specs
> online. And the driver seems to work, though I am not stressing it.

Neat.  Even though it's a SCSI driver, it's very definitely a standard
IDE controller, which should be easy for Bart or somebody to add to
drivers/ide ...

	Jeff

* Re: WG:  EIO DM-8401H ATA133 IDE Controller Card ( Silicon Image Chip ?!?)
@ 2003-10-30 16:08   ` Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz
From: Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz @ 2003-10-30 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeff Garzik, Shaheed; +Cc: linux-kernel, michael

On Thursday 30 of October 2003 15:24, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Shaheed wrote:
> > Interestingly, EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. I actually bought a
> > vanilla IDE controller for a spare disk, and in what showed up the
> > documentation claimed it was a DM-8401R, but lspci shows what you see:
> > and IT8212.
> >
> > The answer was to get the good stuff from here:
> >
> > http://www.iteusa.com/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Control
> >ler
> >
> > The driver install was a doddle (well documented, and easy to apply
> > Mandrake 9.1 instructions to 9.2). For heavens sake: these guys even
> > provide the specs online. And the driver seems to work, though I am not
> > stressing it.
>
> Neat.  Even though it's a SCSI driver, it's very definitely a standard
> IDE controller, which should be easy for Bart or somebody to add to
> drivers/ide ...

I even have one such controller,
I just need to find some time and spare drives...

--bartlomiej

* ITE IT8212 (was Re: WG:  EIO DM-8401H ATA133 IDE Controller Card ( Silicon Image Chip ?!?))
@ 2004-02-03 18:45   ` Ian Hastie
From: Ian Hastie @ 2004-02-03 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

On Thursday 30 Oct 2003 14:24, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> Shaheed wrote:
> > Interestingly, EXACTLY the same thing happened to me. I actually bought a
> > vanilla IDE controller for a spare disk, and in what showed up the
> > documentation claimed it was a DM-8401R, but lspci shows what you see:
> > and IT8212.
> >
> > The answer was to get the good stuff from here:
> >
> > http://www.iteusa.com/productInfo/Download.html#IT8212%20ATA133%20Control
> >ler
> >
> > The driver install was a doddle (well documented, and easy to apply
> > Mandrake 9.1 instructions to 9.2). For heavens sake: these guys even
> > provide the specs online. And the driver seems to work, though I am not
> > stressing it.
>
> Neat.  Even though it's a SCSI driver, it's very definitely a standard
> IDE controller, which should be easy for Bart or somebody to add to
> drivers/ide ...

Are you sure about this?  I know the driver uses the discs as a standard IDE
controller, but then it can deliberately put the chip into a bypass mode.

According to the blurb it is "Different from using traditional software to
handle the RAID function, IT8212F features one embedded CPU and firmware to
handle it. The methodology is able to improve the system's stability and
reduce the driver's loading".  The block diagram shows an embeded CPU.  It is
also possible, depending on the firmware it is programmed with to make it a
RAID or ATAPI controller.

http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/brief_it8212f.htm

It's the IT8211 that is the simple IDE controller.

http://www.ite.com.tw/pc/brief_it8211f.htm

Anyway, now I've said that, any more news on it's support?  I'd be very
interested in trying out any code that may be being developed, especially if
it will work with x86-64 in long mode.  The current driver from ITE
definitely and unsurprisingly does not.

--
Ian.