From: cliff white <cliffw@osdl.org>
To: gene.heskett@verizon.net
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: 2.6.0-test9 vs sound
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:07:19 -0800	[thread overview]

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:08:27 -0500
Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@verizon.net> wrote:

> Where can I find a step by step tutorial on installing alsa since OSS
> has been deprecated?  I've been using the shareware OSS on this mobo
> for years, the audio chipset is VIA 8233 family.  I have as much of
> it compiled into the kernel as there are checkmarks in kconfig but
> nothing soundwise is working yet.  I also put that LXD option on the
> grub line, but thats being ignored, the dmesg comment is still there.
> If grub.conf wasn't where it goes, please advise on that too.
>
> I've been booted to this for about 10 hours now, and so far sound is
> the only thing not working that I've needed.  Not all of my usb stuff
> has been exercized yet though.
>
> So far it just plain feels good, congrats to all involved.
>
> Mmm, the pair of warnings about the check_region call being deprecated
> are still there in the advansys driver, but it worked normally for
> amanda last night.

I would start from the source:
http://alsa-project.org/documentation.php3
Or, try the Linux Audio Users Guide:

http://www.djcj.org/LAU/guide/index.php

A setup guide for the via8233, with module config info is here:

http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php?page=via8233

cliffw

> --
> Cheers, Gene
> AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
> Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M
> 99.27% setiathome rank, not too shabby for a WV hillbilly
> Yahoo.com attornies please note, additions to this message
> by Gene Heskett are:
> Copyright 2003 by Maurice Eugene Heskett, all rights reserved.
>
> -

The church is near, but the road is icy.
The bar is far, but i will walk carefully. - Russian proverb