* Re: Synaptics losing sync
       [not found] <N7gI.1K3.9@gated-at.bofh.it>
@ 2003-11-01 22:37 ` Ruben Puettmann
From: Ruben Puettmann @ 2003-11-01 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: Ricardo Galli

You wrote  in linux.kernel:
> I've sent this report before.
>
> I repeat it just in case someone found a workaround, and because
> 2.6.0-test9 gives other related errors as well (TSC error):

> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 4th byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver resynced.
> Losing too many ticks!
> TSC cannot be used as a timesource. (Are you running with SpeedStep?)
> Falling back to a sane timesource.
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
>
> The laptop is a Dell X200 with APM and cpufreq enabled, and IO-apic
> disabled.

Here the same with IBM Thinkpad R40 2722GDG with APM cause ACPI is for
this laptop totaly broken.

                Ruben

--
Ruben Puettmann
ruben@puettmann.net

* Re: Synaptics losing sync
@ 2003-11-02  9:48   ` Szymon Acedański
From: Szymon Acedański @ 2003-11-02  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ruben; +Cc: linux-kernel

Hi!

On Saturday 01 November 2003 23:37, Ruben Puettmann wrote:
> > Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> > Synaptics driver resynced.
> > Losing too many ticks!
> > TSC cannot be used as a timesource. (Are you running with SpeedStep?)
> > Falling back to a sane timesource.
> > Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte

I can observe the same "Synaptics lost sync" messages on Acer TravelMate 242XC
with ACPI enabled (without APM even compiled) on 2.6.0-test[0-9]. But I
silently ignore these messages - touchpad works ok. I use an USB mouse, but
messages appear even without it plugged.

"Losing too many ticks" exists when I'm running with cpufreq [p4_clockmod] and
clock=tsc (default). This is because of rescaling TSC pitch by cpufreq, I
think. If I specify in bootloader clock=hpet, problem disappears. [Am I doing
right?]

I can provide more information if somebody is interested.

Cheers
Szymon

* Re: Synaptics losing sync
@ 2003-11-03 13:25     ` Ruben Puettmann
From: Ruben Puettmann @ 2003-11-03 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Szymon Aceda?ski; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:48:33AM +0100, Szymon Aceda?ski wrote:

                hy,

> "Losing too many ticks" exists when I'm running with cpufreq [p4_clockmod] and
> clock=tsc (default). This is because of rescaling TSC pitch by cpufreq, I
> think. If I specify in bootloader clock=hpet, problem disappears. [Am I doing
> right?]

If I boot with clock=hpet the cpu MHz in cat /proc/cpuinfo is 0.

Kernel 2.6.0-tes8-bk1
IBM Thinkpad with PentiumM

                Ruben

--
Ruben Puettmann
ruben@puettmann.net

* Re: Synaptics losing sync
@ 2003-11-03 17:13       ` Szymon Acedański
From: Szymon Acedański @ 2003-11-03 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ruben Puettmann; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Monday 03 November 2003 14:25, you wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:48:33AM +0100, Szymon Aceda?ski wrote:
>
>                 hy,
>
> > "Losing too many ticks" exists when I'm running with cpufreq
> > [p4_clockmod] and clock=tsc (default). This is because of rescaling TSC
> > pitch by cpufreq, I think. If I specify in bootloader clock=hpet, problem
> > disappears. [Am I doing right?]
>
> If I boot with clock=hpet the cpu MHz in cat /proc/cpuinfo is 0.

Oh, yes. HPET timer needs ACPI support to work (also HPET is not present on
many machines). You can probably find 'Warning: clock= override failed' in
your dmesg. The default timer is then set to PIT. Determination of CPU clock
when using PIT is not implemented in the kernel, so it's reported as zero in
/proc/cpufreq. You may also find some patches around the LKML adding support
for ACPI timer, but it needs ACPI itself. I didn't try it.

	Szymon

* Re: Synaptics losing sync
@ 2003-11-01 22:47   ` Ricardo Galli
From: Ricardo Galli @ 2003-11-01 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Osterlund; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Saturday 01 November 2003 22:04, Peter Osterlund shaped the electrons
to shout:
> > The laptop is a Dell X200 with APM and cpufreq enabled, and IO-apic
> > disabled.
> >
> > I tested with and w/o preemptive kernel and cpufreq with the same
> > results.
>
> Did you try without APM? My laptop loses many clock ticks if I enable
> APM. It works fine with ACPI though.

It seems this is the problem, running with acpi during half an hour
without any error. The synaptics mouse feels much "smoother" too.

But ACPI doesn't see the battery nor the power button in my laptop though.

Thanks, after months trying the new synaptics driver, fianlly you pointed
out the problem.

--
  ricardo galli       GPG id C8114D34
  http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/

* Re: Synaptics losing sync
@ 2003-11-01 21:04 ` Peter Osterlund
From: Peter Osterlund @ 2003-11-01 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ricardo Galli; +Cc: linux-kernel

Ricardo Galli <gallir@uib.es> writes:

> I've sent this report before.
>
> I repeat it just in case someone found a workaround, and because
> 2.6.0-test9 gives other related errors as well (TSC error):

> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 4th byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
> Synaptics driver resynced.
> Losing too many ticks!
> TSC cannot be used as a timesource. (Are you running with SpeedStep?)
> Falling back to a sane timesource.
> Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
>
> The laptop is a Dell X200 with APM and cpufreq enabled, and IO-apic
> disabled.
>
> I tested with and w/o preemptive kernel and cpufreq with the same results.

Did you try without APM? My laptop loses many clock ticks if I enable
APM. It works fine with ACPI though.

--
Peter Osterlund - petero2@telia.com
http://w1.894.telia.com/~u89404340

* Synaptics losing sync
@ 2003-11-01 16:51 Ricardo Galli
From: Ricardo Galli @ 2003-11-01 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I've sent this report before.

I repeat it just in case someone found a workaround, and because
2.6.0-test9 gives other related errors as well (TSC error):

Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 4th byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte
Synaptics driver resynced.
Losing too many ticks!
TSC cannot be used as a timesource. (Are you running with SpeedStep?)
Falling back to a sane timesource.
Synaptics driver lost sync at 1st byte

The laptop is a Dell X200 with APM and cpufreq enabled, and IO-apic
disabled.

I tested with and w/o preemptive kernel and cpufreq with the same results.

I also tried with 2.6.0-test9-bk4 (after last psmouse changes). I also
tried modifying the sources and decreasing the synaptics' 80 packets per
seconds to 40 packets but I still get the same errors.