From: "Szymon Acedański" <accek@poczta.gazeta.pl>
To: Ruben Puettmann <ruben@puettmann.net>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Synaptics losing sync
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 18:13:24 +0100	[thread overview]

On Monday 03 November 2003 14:25, you wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:48:33AM +0100, Szymon Aceda?ski wrote:
>
>                 hy,
>
> > "Losing too many ticks" exists when I'm running with cpufreq
> > [p4_clockmod] and clock=tsc (default). This is because of rescaling TSC
> > pitch by cpufreq, I think. If I specify in bootloader clock=hpet, problem
> > disappears. [Am I doing right?]
>
> If I boot with clock=hpet the cpu MHz in cat /proc/cpuinfo is 0.

Oh, yes. HPET timer needs ACPI support to work (also HPET is not present on
many machines). You can probably find 'Warning: clock= override failed' in
your dmesg. The default timer is then set to PIT. Determination of CPU clock
when using PIT is not implemented in the kernel, so it's reported as zero in
/proc/cpufreq. You may also find some patches around the LKML adding support
for ACPI timer, but it needs ACPI itself. I didn't try it.

	Szymon