Hi, I currently do not have subscribed to LKML, so please CC to my address when answering. I will browse the archive, but on a not so regular basis. I came across a strange behavior of mmap using the ACE library. After some discussion on the ace-users mailing list (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ace-users/message/36897) I'd like to post this question here in the hope that anyone knows more about this. The problem basically is that a program doing a mmap call with the MAP_FIXED flag set crashes just by unmapping and mapping of an extended (larger) memory area. Note it crashes although it never touches (writes) to the memory it maps. Attached is a C file that if compiled and run on a 2.4.x Kernel crashes with a segmentation fault. If called with any argument it uses a (delta) value to increase the map size, so it crashes after 21 iterations on my computer. My kernel version is: $ cat /proc/version Linux version 2.4.20-18.9.acpi.4 (dsanta@ltspc67.epfl.ch) (gcc version 3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)) #1 Wed Jul 2 14:54:57 CEST 2003 If anyone knows why the program crashes instead of just failing with some error code, please let me know. The attached program is a slightly modified version I got from an ACE developer > Here's my test program. It fails under all machines that I have tested. > Maybe you can post it to Linux Kernel and ask what is broken and tell me if > you get any answer. Lothar -- Lothar Werzinger Dipl.-Ing. Univ. framework & platform architect Xcerla Corporation 275 Tennant Avenue, Suite 202 Morgan Hill, Ca 95037 email: lothar@xcerla.com phone: +1-408-776-9018