* amanda vs 2.6 and FB problems
@ 2003-11-27 19:56 Gene Heskett
From: Gene Heskett @ 2003-11-27 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

That amanda vs 2.6 thread was getting verbose.

First, there's a bug in xconfig for 2.6.0-test11, which I just rebuilt
again.  I had to turn off the VESA_FB with vim, its not an option in
the xconfig menus.  So this boot is to 2.6.0-test11 with
# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set
and using the deadline scheduler.

I have started X and logged back out twice, and still had an
underscore cursor both times, so the disapperaring cursor problem
seems to be solved.  Many thanks for the hint about framebuffers.

Now, using the deadline scheduler, lets see how an 'su amanda' works:
------------------------
root@coyote linux-2.6]# su amanda  <<<-instant
[amanda@coyote linux-2.6]$ exit
exit
[root@coyote linux-2.6]# su amanda <<<-instant
[amanda@coyote linux-2.6]$ exit
exit
[root@coyote linux-2.6]# su amanda <<<-instant
[amanda@coyote linux-2.6]$ exit
exit
[root@coyote linux-2.6]# su amanda <<<-instant
[amanda@coyote linux-2.6]$ exit
[root@coyote linux-2.6]# su amanda <<<- used ctrl+d to exit
[amanda@coyote linux-2.6]$ exit
[root@coyote linux-2.6]# su amanda <<<- hung, then killed su
Killed
[root@coyote linux-2.6]#
------------------------
So that didn't solve this.

BUT, I just did the whole next amanda snapshot install using 'su
amanda -c "nameofjob"', after it had refused to do the su amanda by
itself, and that worked 100% from another, same icon launched, shell
window.  I'm beginning to think there's something in su thats kernel
sensitive, and which is bypassed if you give it a job argument.

Am I making any sense at all here?

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-11-27 19:56 UTC | newest]