Hi Andries, The comment in front of vt_ioctl() reads /* * We handle the console-specific ioctl's here. We allow the * capability to modify any console, not just the fg_console. */ Unfortunately, this does not apply to PIO_UNIMAPCLR, nor GIO_/PIO_UNIMAP. They always operate on the current foreground console, which is inconsistent at least. For most ioctls, the comment is applicable. It also causes problems, as setfont can't do the full job on the non-fg consoles. (OK, our setfont is slightly changed to even try it ... as you know.) The attached patch does fix this. Please consider applying to 2.6.x. I have a similar patch for 2.4, but it never got merged :-( because not many people seem to care and I submitted in the middle of the 2.4 series ... It has been in UnitedLinux/SUSE kernels for ages, though. Regards, -- Kurt Garloff [Koeln, DE] Physics:Plasma modeling [TU Eindhoven, NL] Linux:SCSI, Security [SUSE Nuernberg, DE]