* USB timeout with printer
@ 2003-12-01 19:50 Aaron Lehmann
From: Aaron Lehmann @ 2003-12-01 19:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I have a HP LaserJet 1300 that I'm using over USB.

(drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x1017)

What's getting to be very annoying is that usually within a day after
printing something, I get the message usb 1-2: control timeout on
ep0in, and the printer needs to be power cycled. I get other weird
errors sometimes, like "drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -110
reading printer status". I don't have any evidence that this is
Linux's fault, but it seems like a fairly likely possibility, at least
if you consider it an incompatibility with the printer rather than a bug.
My mouse uses USB and it works fine. I'm using an expensive Belkin
USB cable. The kernel version is 2.6.0-test9-bk17. Here is some
information on my USB controller:

00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 23) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
        I/O ports at c800 [size=32]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

I think this may have started a few -test revisions ago, but I'm not
sure. I only purchased the printer fairly recently so it's not like I
can say that it's worked for years.

* Re: USB timeout with printer
@ 2003-12-01 20:14 ` DervishD
From: DervishD @ 2003-12-01 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aaron Lehmann; +Cc: linux-kernel

    Hi Aaron :)

 * Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com> dixit:
> What's getting to be very annoying is that usually within a day after
> printing something, I get the message usb 1-2: control timeout on
> ep0in, and the printer needs to be power cycled. I get other weird
> errors sometimes, like "drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -110
> reading printer status".

    I have exactly the same problem, quite frequently lately (I use
2.4.21), with a PostScript capable laser printer, namely Lexmark
Optra E312.

    I have a VIA chipset, too.

    Raúl Núñez de Arenas Coronado

--
Linux Registered User 88736

* Re: USB timeout with printer
@ 2003-12-02  9:50 ` Sergey Vlasov
From: Sergey Vlasov @ 2003-12-02  9:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-usb-devel

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:50:32 -0800 Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> I have a HP LaserJet 1300 that I'm using over USB.
>
> (drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 8 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x1017)
>
> What's getting to be very annoying is that usually within a day after
> printing something, I get the message usb 1-2: control timeout on
> ep0in, and the printer needs to be power cycled. I get other weird
> errors sometimes, like "drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: error -110
> reading printer status". I don't have any evidence that this is
> Linux's fault, but it seems like a fairly likely possibility, at least
> if you consider it an incompatibility with the printer rather than a bug.
> My mouse uses USB and it works fine. I'm using an expensive Belkin
> USB cable. The kernel version is 2.6.0-test9-bk17. Here is some
> information on my USB controller:
>
> 00:11.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB (rev 23) (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
>         Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. (Wrong ID) USB Controller
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 10
>         I/O ports at c800 [size=32]
>         Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> I think this may have started a few -test revisions ago, but I'm not
> sure. I only purchased the printer fairly recently so it's not like I
> can say that it's worked for years.

I have experienced similar issues with LaserJet 1300:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-usb-devel&m=106208938406301&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?w=2&r=1&s=laserjet+1300+lockup&q=t