From: Masatake YAMATO <jet@gyve.org>
To: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Cc: oliver@neukum.org
Subject: hfs on scsi device
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 22:26:29 +0900 (JST)	[thread overview]

Hi,

2.4.23 kernel shows oops when I've tried to mount hfs file system
on a CDROM in scsi CDROM drive. (Strictly speaking I'm using ide-scsi
kernel parameter.) I inspect this issue.

This issue was reported and discussed this April:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0304.0/0365.html
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=102890250915062&w=2

The symptom of oops is appeared in dmesg:

    kernel BUG at buffer.c:2518!

The line is in grow_buffers() function:

	/* Size must be multiple of hard sectorsize */
	if (size & (get_hardsect_size(dev)-1))
		BUG();

It seems that setting the block size is failed before the control reaches
this line.

With the following patch for linux-2.4.23/fs/hfs/super.c, you can avoid
the oops. The patch just checks the return value from set_blocksize.
If set_blocksize is failed, just return from the function(hfs_read_super).

Masatake YAMATO
jet@gyve.org

397a398
> 	int dev_blocksize;