* Dell Laptop APM problems/noise
@ 2003-12-08 13:12 Tim Stadelmann
From: Tim Stadelmann @ 2003-12-08 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

I observe the same power supply (?) noise as Jean-Marc on my Dell Latitude
C600 with 2.6.0-test10 and -test11, if APM is enabled and the kernel is
allowed to tell the BIOS that the CPU is idle.

Some remarks, which I hope may be helpful:

- in 2.6, APM idle calls produce the noise, but do not conserve power.  This
could be either because the call fails to have the desired effect, or because
whatever causes the oscillation uses so much power that the effect is offset.
Disabling idle calls avoids the oscillation, but reduces the battery life
dramaticall if compared with 2.4 kernels or 2.6 using ACPI.

- unlike Jean-Marc, I do not see the problem when using ACPI. Battery life is
comparable to 2.4 with APM enabled. (of course, suspend does not work, but
that's a different story...)

- with 2.4 kernels, APM *does* work as expected. No oscillation happens, and
the battery life is prolonged significantly when allowing idle calls.
Something relevant must have changed.

					Regards,

					Tim Stadelmann

PS: please CC questions and remarks to my personal address

only message in thread, other threads:[~2003-12-08 13:18 UTC | newest]