Hello, Not sure if this is appropriate for ACPI or kernel list so I Cc: both. On my MS-6163 v3.0 (BX Master) board, the IO-APIC was previously being used before a blacklist was incorrectly added last year. Now that the blacklist is removed when I upgraded to 2.4.23, ACPI doesn't seem to want to enable IO-APIC usage (dmesg attached). I don't remember whether or not I had ACPI enabled when the IO-APIC was working a long time ago. I added some debug statements to arch/i386/kernel/acpi.c/acpi_boot_init() to try to diagnose the code flow. However, when recompiling, almost the entire kernel must be rebuilt for dependencies, which takes forever on my poor machine... :( So I didn't want to spend much more time without some outside opinion of the situation. But, as you can see from dmesg, it gets here: | ===> printk(KERN_INFO PREFIX "past blacklist\n"); #ifdef CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC /* * MADT * ---- * Parse the Multiple APIC Description Table (MADT), if exists. * Note that this table provides platform SMP configuration * information -- the successor to MPS tables. */ XXX result = acpi_table_parse(ACPI_APIC, acpi_parse_madt); if (!result) { return 0; } else if (result < 0) { printk(KERN_ERR PREFIX "Error parsing MADT\n"); return result; } else if (result > 1) printk(KERN_WARNING PREFIX "Multiple MADT tables exist\n"); ===> printk(KERN_INFO PREFIX "past MADT\n") | but not here. There are no other kernel messages printed, so I think XXX is the failing part. Why would that happen? Is it because this is a UP machine and the call only works for SMP? (CONFIG_X86_LOCAL_APIC is definitely enabled) Is it possible that IO-APIC and ACPI can work individually but be mutually exclusive on a system if the ACPI tables don't correctly describe the IO-APIC? I have only a shallow understanding of how this works (from reading www.acpi.info and kernel source) so please bear with me if I am overlooking something obvious. thanks, -- Ryan Underwood,