On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 13:38:29 +0100, Bodo Eggert said: > Maybe it's possible to extend the semantics of umount -l to change all > cwds under that mountpoint to be deleted directories which will no > longer cause the mountpoint to be busy (e.g. by redirecting them to a > special inode on initramfs). Most applications can cope with that (if > not, they're buggy), You mean that a program is *buggy* if it does: cwd("/home/user"); /* do some stuff while we get our cwd ripped out from under us */ file = open("./.mycconfrc"); and expects the file to be opened in /home/user???