From: Jake Moilanen <moilanen@austin.ibm.com>
To: piotr@larroy.com (Pedro Larroy)
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE 0/4][RFC] Genetic Algorithm Library
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 09:54:42 -0600	[thread overview]

> From a quick look I've seen your algorithm tends to converge to a
> global optimum, but also as William Lee Irwin III has commentend on
> irc, it might miss "special points" since there's no warranty of the
> function to minize to be continuous.

This is a very good point, and is something that I'm working on now.  I
would like to be able to able to have multiple fitness rankings (ex. one
that ranks specifically for throughput and one specifically for
interactivity/latency).  Then tune specific genes, that actually
impact that specific fitness check.

> I think it's a good idea to introduce this techniques to tune the
> kernel, but perhaps userland would be the right place for them, to be
> able to switch them off when in need or have more controll over them.
> But it's a nice initiative in my opinion.

I considered doing this in userland at first, but I went away from it
for a couple reasons.  I wanted users of the library to have a lot of
flexibility.  There was also a concern with the extra overhead going
inbetween user/kernel space (important for users who's children have
very short life-spans).

Jake