From: Russell King <rmk+lkml@arm.linux.org.uk>
To: Pierre Ossman <drzeus-list@drzeus.cx>
Cc: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>, Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>,
	stephen_pollei@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] remove SPF-using wbsd lists from MAINTAINERS
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2005 21:29:33 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:21:01PM +0100, Pierre Ossman wrote:
> Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Llu, 2005-01-10 at 18:43, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> >
> >>IMHO lists rejecting emails based on some non-standard extension don't
> >>belong into MAINTAINERS.
> >

> > Find out why someone is publishing records saying your mail isnt valid
> > instead of moaning here. If they are using SPF and you are not using any
> > strange extensions its fine. You or your provider appears to be
> > advertising that stusta.de doesn't use the mail relay you are using.
> >

> I think I've fixed the problem now. It wasn't that there were published
> records for stusta.de, the problem was that the mail server couldn't
> resolve your domain. For some reason everything from the DNS I'm using
> to your DNS gets dropped. The mail server takes the paranoid route and
> assumes the worst when it cannot contact dns servers (that's why you got
> a 4xx, not a 5xx). I've now changed DNS which will hopefully solve the
> issue.
>
> As for dropping the mailing list out of MAINTAINERS then I'd prefer you
> didn't (of course). But I will not remove the filters on the servers
> since they remove a lot of spam. If that means it cannot be in
> MAINTAINERS, then so be it.

You may wish to check the source port which your DNS servers are using
to perform lookups.  I've had a situation recently where someone was
unable to send me mail.  Upon investigation, I found that my name
servers couldn't resolve his domain, but plain 'dig' on the same box
could.

I've come across ISPs who think they should block DNS requests from
certain _source_ ports to "improve" their security, which may explain
what you're seeing.

If this is the case, I suggest Adrian finds a better ISP.

--
Russell King
 maintainer of:  2.6 PCMCIA      - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/