On Monday 14 February 2005 03:08, Larry McVoy wrote: > This is a heads up that the BK tree for the kernel is currently at 59,000 > changesets give or take a few. The BK that you are using uses unsigned > shorts for the internal names of each delta which means you folks are > about 100 days away from things no longer working. > > The good news is that the openlogging tree for the kernel has 135,000 > changesets so we've obviously long since fixed this problem. > > The bad news is that you will need to upgrade your BK binary in order > to pass over the 64K changeset boundary. The data is stored on disk in > ascii so it doesn't matter if you upgrade until you hit the problem but > sooner or later you will need to upgrade. > > We'll get the fix into bk-3.2.4 which should be out by the end of the > month. When we release that we'll send out notice and it would be good > if people gave it a try and let us know if they hit issues because in a > couple of months everyone is going to have to upgrade. > > It's possible that we'll be changing the BK license to conform more with > our commercial license but we won't do that without running it by Linus & > Co to make sure that it's acceptable. One change we'd like to make there > is to clarify the non-compete stuff. We've had some people who have > indicated that they believed that if they used BK they were agreeing > that they would never work on another SCM system. We can see how it > is possible that people would interpret the license that way but that > wasn't our intent. What we would like to do is change the language to > say that if you use BK you are agreeing that you won't work on another > SCM for 1 year after you stop using BK. But after that you would be > able to hack on anything that you wanted. That was more of what we > had in mind in the first place but we didn't make it clear. If you all > thought that using BK meant you had no right to hack on SCM ever again, > that's just not fair. We need to protect our IP but you should have > the right to choose to go hack SCM if that's what you (our first choice > is that you came and worked here, we really like kernel hackers, but if > you don't want to that's cool too). Hi, do you mean "if you use BK you are agreeing that you won't work on another SCM for 1 year after you stop using BK." for the kernel tree and developers or in general? i think this statement is just a kind of trying the MicrosoftBeingTheOneAndOnly way. it's a kind of extortion - use bk or die :/ if it is really being that way - say goodbye to bk as soon as possible. regards mws