From: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
To: Parag Warudkar <kernel-stuff@comcast.net>
Cc: Paolo Ornati <ornati@fastwebnet.it>,
	bruno.virlet@gmail.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: spam mails with the same Message-ID
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 18:02:11 +0100	[thread overview]

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Parag Warudkar wrote:
> On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:10 am, Paolo Ornati wrote:
> > > ÄúºÃ£º
> > >     ÎÒÒÑ_­ÊÕµ_ÄúµÄÀ_ÐÅ
> >
> > and... what does this means?
> SPAM. This looks to me like a new way of spamming though, replying to valid
> mailing list messages. (I too received couple of these in reply to my
> messages.)

The most interesting fact seems to be that these spam messages have the
same message ID as the original Mails.

If you run a program that automatically discards duplicate mails and the
spam message reaches you faster than the original email through
linux-kernel (which seems to often happen with these mails), the
original email will be discarded.

I don't know whether these are known attacks, but the automatic
discarding of duplicated emails offers attackers nice opportunities if
they know a message ID (as with these emails) or can guess the
message ID (since many MUAs have predictable message IDs, an attacker C
could use this to suppress a message from person A to person B by
sending an email with the message ID to person B bevor person B gets
the email from person A).

> Parag

cu
Adrian