From: Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de>
To: chas3@users.sourceforge.net
Cc: shemminger@osdl.org, bridge@osdl.org,
	linux-atm-general@lists.sourceforge.net, netdev@oss.sgi.com,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [2.6 patch] fix bridge <-> ATM compile error
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:15:32 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:11:29AM -0500, chas williams - CONTRACTOR wrote:
> In message <20050315121930.GE3189@stusta.de>,Adrian Bunk writes:
> >This patch fixes the following compile error with CONFIG_BRIDGE=y and
> >CONFIG_ATM_LANE=m:
>
> isnt the problem more that CONFIG_ATM=m not CONFIG_ATM_LANE=m?
> perhaps CONFIG_BRIDGE should be dependent on CONFIG_ATM.  if
> atm is a module then bridge cannot be a module (unless the
> hooks are moved from atm to bridge)?

The problem is currently CONFIG_ATM_LANE due to the #ifdef's in
net/atm/common.c .

Letting CONFIG_BRIDGE depend on CONFIG_ATM doesn't sound like a good
idea, since I doubt all people using the Bridge code require ATM
support.

Moving the hooks to the bridge code will give you exactly the same
problems the other way round.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.