On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 00:57:54 CDT, David Masover said: > In one of three possible settings for the imaginary zipfile plugin, yes. > But if we're talking about a kernel source tree, how many of us > actually build zipfiles/tarballs of their kernel source trees, rather > than unpack existing ones? I dunno. I'll often build a tarball of "-mm plus local patches" known to be working at the moment, precisely so I can just untar that as a known good base for the next kernel-hackfest, rather than untar Linus's tree, apply all of the -mm patch, then all my local patches again... And even if I'm not *that* ambitious, I'll at least tar up a clean -mm tree to use as a base. :) And even if I didn't do that, you *do* have to do something when the disk gets backed up. You *do* intend for sensible things to happen then, right? ;)