On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 09:44:59AM -0400, Horst von Brand wrote: > >No. But just relying on perfect hardware and concientious sysadmins is >reckless. Hardware /is/ flaky, sysadmins /are/ (sometimes) lazy (and >besides, today they are increasingly just plain Joe Sixpack users). Also, >backing up a few hundred GiB is /not/ fun, and then keeping track of all >the backups is messy. Even home users have started to set up raid mirrors at home now that disk space is cheap. That's a step in the right direction, I suppose, with hardware never being good. Taking backups in an environment where you need a few hundred GiB backed up is not that difficult. Get a separate, redundant box with a big tape changer and drop periodical backups off at your bank's vault. Get a separate, very reduntant box, with a truckload of proven drives in a separate raid box and run your stuff there. Get both of the above. If Joe Sixpack loses his mp3 collection, I don't really care, nor should anyone else. Anything important enough to care about is easy enough to back up. Always. Arrogance? Maybe. >Also, I'm not claiming that they are /solely/ responsible, but not having >the filesystem fall apart utterly every time some bug breaths on it /is/ a >requirement. Reiserfs does not fall apart utterly every time some bug breaths on it. >> *still trying to understand how that can be* >You haven't been around too much yet, do you? Rather I take backups, buy better hardware and understand there's a risk involved. Computers as a complete set can't be trusted, you can only make the best accomodations you can. -- mjt