On Tue, 10 Jan 2006 14:16:19 -0500, Mark Lord wrote: > Okay, fixed the ordering of the "default" lines > so that the Kconfig actually works correctly. > > Best for Andrew to soak this one in -mm. > > Signed-off-by: Mark Lord > Working nice on top of 2.6.15-mm2. Even with the 'evil binary' nVidia driver 8178 ;). In fact, I have been using the 1Gb-lowmem patch on -mm and the nVidia driver since long ago, without problems. I really like to see this in -mm, and finally in mainline. My only objection is about the menu entry names and help. I think people building a kernel would not exactly understand what all this is about (even I think I don't have it realle clear). Is there any doc which states clearly somthing like: - no highmem is the fastest - 4Gb introduces one indirection, so it is slower...(really ?) - 64Gb introduces two (PAE ?) mixed with - 3G/1G standard maping: - nor user nor kernel can use any memory above 860 Mb - user processes (my numbercruncher) can not allocate more than XGb - 2G/2G: idem: - max memory seen by my linux system (not kernel, but kernel+userspace, - how much can I allocate for a single process (how big my problem can be ?) If there is already a doc like that, it would be very interesting to have pointer/link to it in the help text. For example, when I read this: + If the address range available to the kernel is less than the + physical memory installed, the remaining memory will be available + as "high memory". Accessing high memory is a little more costly + than low memory, as it needs to be mapped into the kernel first. Does this mean that with 3/1 standard split, I still can use the lost 128 Mb for something ? I though I can't. Don't be too hard with me, just anxious to finally understand this... -- J.A. Magallon \ Software is like sex: werewolf!able!es \ It's better when it's free Mandriva Linux release 2006.1 (Cooker) for i586 Linux 2.6.15-jam2 (gcc 4.0.2 (4.0.2-1mdk for Mandriva Linux release 2006.1))