* Place for userland swsusp parts
@ 2006-01-11 22:15 Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-01-11 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki, Nigel Cunningham; +Cc: kernel list

Hi!

Is there some place where we could  put userland swsusp parts under
version control?

swsusp.sf.net looks like possible place, but it has been in use by
suspend2... Is it still being used? If not, would it be possible to
"hijack" it for swsusp development?
								Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!

* Re: Place for userland swsusp parts
@ 2006-01-11 22:19 ` Nigel Cunningham
From: Nigel Cunningham @ 2006-01-11 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, kernel list

Hi.

On Thursday 12 January 2006 08:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is there some place where we could  put userland swsusp parts under
> version control?
>
> swsusp.sf.net looks like possible place, but it has been in use by
> suspend2... Is it still being used? If not, would it be possible to
> "hijack" it for swsusp development?

It's not still being used (we have suspend2.net now). The only problem I see
with that is that it still has all the old suspend2 stuff and Sourceforge
make it really hard to clear out a project's files. You were talking about
calling it uswsusp or something like that. How about starting a
uswsusp.sf.net?

Regards,

Nigel
--
Nigel, Michelle and Alisdair Cunningham
72 Brownie Street, Jamboree Heights

* Re: Place for userland swsusp parts
@ 2006-01-12 14:38   ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-01-12 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nigel Cunningham; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, kernel list

On Čt 12-01-06 08:19:42, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Thursday 12 January 2006 08:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > Is there some place where we could  put userland swsusp parts under
> > version control?
> >
> > swsusp.sf.net looks like possible place, but it has been in use by
> > suspend2... Is it still being used? If not, would it be possible to
> > "hijack" it for swsusp development?
>
> It's not still being used (we have suspend2.net now). The only problem I see
> with that is that it still has all the old suspend2 stuff and Sourceforge
> make it really hard to clear out a project's files. You were talking about
> calling it uswsusp or something like that. How about starting a
> uswsusp.sf.net?

Rafael, do you have repository to place userland parts in, or should I
start uswsusp.sf.net project, or do you want to do it?
								Pavel
--

@ 2006-01-12 20:13     ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2006-01-12 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Nigel Cunningham, kernel list

Hi,

On Thursday, 12 January 2006 15:38, Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Čt 12-01-06 08:19:42, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 January 2006 08:15, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > > Is there some place where we could  put userland swsusp parts under
> > > version control?
> > >
> > > swsusp.sf.net looks like possible place, but it has been in use by
> > > suspend2... Is it still being used? If not, would it be possible to
> > > "hijack" it for swsusp development?
> >
> > It's not still being used (we have suspend2.net now). The only problem I see
> > with that is that it still has all the old suspend2 stuff and Sourceforge
> > make it really hard to clear out a project's files. You were talking about
> > calling it uswsusp or something like that. How about starting a
> > uswsusp.sf.net?
>
> Rafael, do you have repository to place userland parts in, or should I
> start uswsusp.sf.net project, or do you want to do it?

I think I can host them (the box is moving tomorrow, hopefully, so it should get
enough bandwidth ;-)), but I'm afraid I won't have time to set up a mailing list
etc.

IMHO uswsusp.sf.net would be too similar to swsusp.sf.net, especially that
swsusp.sf.net is redirected to www.suspend2.net.

Greetings,
Rafael

* Re: Place for userland swsusp parts
@ 2006-01-13  0:21       ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-01-13  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Nigel Cunningham, kernel list

Hi!

> > > It's not still being used (we have suspend2.net now). The only problem I see
> > > with that is that it still has all the old suspend2 stuff and Sourceforge
> > > make it really hard to clear out a project's files. You were talking about
> > > calling it uswsusp or something like that. How about starting a
> > > uswsusp.sf.net?
> >
> > Rafael, do you have repository to place userland parts in, or should I
> > start uswsusp.sf.net project, or do you want to do it?
>
> I think I can host them (the box is moving tomorrow, hopefully, so it should get
> enough bandwidth ;-)), but I'm afraid I won't have time to set up a mailing list
> etc.

Actually, it would probably be better to put it on sourceforge or
something like that. That way you don't have to care about sysadmin
stuff (mailing lists etc), backups, backup conectivity, etc, etc.

> IMHO uswsusp.sf.net would be too similar to swsusp.sf.net, especially that
> swsusp.sf.net is redirected to www.suspend2.net.

Or maybe we can get hosting on suspend2.net? Or create
userswsusp.sf.net (that name is ugly :-().

...some revision control would be nice, but perhaps revision control
is enough and we can just put git tree on kernel.org?

								Pavel
--

@ 2006-01-13  1:00         ` Bernard Blackham
From: Bernard Blackham @ 2006-01-13  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Rafael J. Wysocki, Nigel Cunningham, kernel list

On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:21:38AM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > IMHO uswsusp.sf.net would be too similar to swsusp.sf.net, especially that
> > swsusp.sf.net is redirected to www.suspend2.net.

I can put a "were you looking for uswsusp.sf.net?" on the suspend2
page if it came from swsusp.sf.net :)

> Or maybe we can get hosting on suspend2.net?

suspend2.net's bandwidth isn't too cheap, so most of the web traffic
is funneled out to mirrors. Getting mirrors to update vhosts can
take some time. sf.net would probably be quicker!

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>

* Re: Place for userland swsusp parts
@ 2006-01-13 11:25         ` Rafael J. Wysocki
From: Rafael J. Wysocki @ 2006-01-13 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek; +Cc: Nigel Cunningham, kernel list

Hi,

On Friday, 13 January 2006 01:21, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > Rafael, do you have repository to place userland parts in, or should I
> > > start uswsusp.sf.net project, or do you want to do it?
> >
> > I think I can host them (the box is moving tomorrow, hopefully, so it should get
> > enough bandwidth ;-)), but I'm afraid I won't have time to set up a mailing list
> > etc.
>
> Actually, it would probably be better to put it on sourceforge or
> something like that. That way you don't have to care about sysadmin
> stuff (mailing lists etc), backups, backup conectivity, etc, etc.

Agreed.

> > IMHO uswsusp.sf.net would be too similar to swsusp.sf.net, especially that
> > swsusp.sf.net is redirected to www.suspend2.net.
>
> Or maybe we can get hosting on suspend2.net? Or create
> userswsusp.sf.net (that name is ugly :-().

suspend.sf.net seems to be available.  We can use it, I think.

> ...some revision control would be nice, but perhaps revision control
> is enough and we can just put git tree on kernel.org?

IMHO quilt will suffice to manage patches, at least for starters, but we'll
need a mailing list and an intro web page.

Greetings,
Rafael

* Re: Place for userland swsusp parts
@ 2006-01-13 12:09           ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2006-01-13 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rafael J. Wysocki; +Cc: Nigel Cunningham, kernel list

Hi!

> > > IMHO uswsusp.sf.net would be too similar to swsusp.sf.net, especially that
> > > swsusp.sf.net is redirected to www.suspend2.net.
> >
> > Or maybe we can get hosting on suspend2.net? Or create
> > userswsusp.sf.net (that name is ugly :-().
>
> suspend.sf.net seems to be available.  We can use it, I think.

Ok. <evil>Or we can register suspend2.sf.net, and manage exchange for
swsusp.sf.net :-)))))</evil>

> > ...some revision control would be nice, but perhaps revision control
> > is enough and we can just put git tree on kernel.org?
>
> IMHO quilt will suffice to manage patches, at least for starters, but we'll
> need a mailing list and an intro web page.

Well, we'll just get the kernel patch merged, so I don't see a need
for quilt. But we'll need some CVS/SVN/something for userland parts.

Do you want to register suspend.sf.net, or should I do it?
								Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!