On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 07:03:57PM +0200, Jens Axboe wrote: > > > > I see your point that writing to the status register is not a good idea. > > I think what we want to do is just ignore this particular interrupt and > > let it continue. > > Am not sure if clearing DRQ bit will achieve this. Please correct me if > > I am wrong, but to clear the DRQ bit also we will have to write to the > > status register. > > No, there is not writable status register - that is called the command > register. Just reading the status register is enough to clear the irq, > so if you just want to ignore the interrupt that'll work. Hi Jens, I actually tried just reading the status register and then returning ide_stopped. It seemed to be working fine, just that there appears a 'status error' message while booting: ide0: start_request: current=0xffff8100035cba68 hda: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest } ide: failed opcode was: unknown hda: drive not ready for command The second kernel boots up fine though and I am able to mount the cdrom ok and access its files too. > What happens if you rearm the interrupt handler instead of returning > ide_stopped? In this case the kernel just panics during booting(attaching the partial panic log). Thanks Rachita