On Mon, 03 Jul 2006 12:59:43 PDT, john stultz said: > On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 18:56 -0700, Daniel Walker wrote: > > On Mon, 2006-07-03 at 03:13 +0200, Roman Zippel wrote: > > I was reviewing these new ntp adjustment functions, and it seems like it > > would be a lot easier to just switch to a better clocksource. These new > > functions seems to compensate for a clock that has a high rating but is > > actually quite poor.. > > Not quite. The issue is that the adjustment that the ntpd makes is quite > fine grained, and some clocksources while quite stable, might not be > able to make such a fine adjustment. So the extra error accounting just > allows us to keep track and compensate for the resolution differences. > > Does that make sense? Except for the fact that NTP isn't running yet when I see this trouble...