LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
* Feature request: exec self for NOMMU.
@ 2006-12-26 23:23 Rob Landley
From: Rob Landley @ 2006-12-26 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: David McCullough

I'm trying to make some nommu-friendly busybox-like tools, which means using
vfork() instead of fork().  This means that after I fork I have to exec in
the child to unblock the parent, and if I want to exec my current executable
I have to find out where it lives so I can feed the path to exec().  This is
nontrivial.

Worse, it's not always possible.  If chroot() has happened since the program
started, there may not _be_ a path to my current executable available from
this process's current or root directories.

What would be really nice is if I could feed a NULL path to exec on NOMMU
systems, and have that mean "re-exec the current executable".  I can't think
of a way to do this without kernel support.  Any opinions on whether this is
worthwhile?

A nommu-friendly daemonize() is another use for this, by the way...

Rob
--
"Perfection is reached, not when there is no longer anything to add, but
when there is no longer anything to take away." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery