On Thursday 07 June 2007, Bjorn Helgaas wrote: > On Wednesday 06 June 2007 02:45:01 pm Andrey Borzenkov wrote: > > I am beginning to doubt whether drier > > works on my system at all (i.e. before PnP change); have to find time to > > test. > > In 2.6.21, smsc-ircc2 at least found the device. So we definitely have > a problem because in 2.6.22-rc, we don't find the device. > > What laptop do you have? Maybe I can find one to play with. > > I think Windows always calls _SRS, even if it doesn't need to change > the current resource settings. Linux doesn't do that, and my HP nw8240 > firmware has a bug that leaves the IR device partly-enabled until _SRS > is called. Maybe yours has a similar bug. > > Can you set CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y, make it so smsc-ircc2 isn't loaded > automatically, and try this (along with my previous patch to swap > FIR and SIR): > > # dmesg -n 8 > # echo 0x200 > /sys/module/acpi/parameters/debug_level > # echo disable > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:0a/resources > # echo activate > /sys/bus/pnp/devices/00:0a/resources > # modprobe smsc-ircc2 > > If you try this, can you collect the whole dmesg log? > well, dmesg (/var/log/messages) is around 35MB :) Even bz2 compressed it is over 700KB. I put it here: http://dump.ru:80/loadfile.php?filename=fir_acpi_debug.bz2&id=379192 This is from /var/log/messages. I do not have serial console and cannot capture output directly; I can only hope nothing is lost at this rate. > It's also possible that some other driver like i2c is messing with > the ISA/LPC bridge configuration and breaking the IR device config. > Your lspnp output doesn't show any other ISA devices down there, > but I know i2c likes to poke around and discover things that kinda, > sorta work, but the BIOS didn't expose. > > Bjorn