On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 04:52:02PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote: > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 16:07:56 -0700 > jjohansen@suse.de wrote: > > > This post contains patches to include the AppArmor application security > > framework, with request for inclusion into -mm for wider testing. > > Patches 24 and 31 didn't come through. > yes, sorry about that I had a very odd failure authetication failure with those two mails and missed it. They have been recent. > > so... where do we stand with this? Fundamental, irreconcilable > differences over the use of pathname-based security? > There certainly seems to be some differences of opinion over the use of pathname-based-security. > Are there any other sticking points? > > The conditional passing of the vfsmnt mount in the vfs, as done in this patch series, has received a NAK. This problem results from NFS passing a NULL nameidata into the vfs. We have a second patch series that we have posted for discussion that addresses this by splitting the nameidata struct. Message-Id: <20070626231510.883881222@suse.de> Subject: [RFD 0/4] AppArmor - Don't pass NULL nameidata to vfs_create/lookup/permission IOPs other issues that have been raised are: - AppArmor does not currently mediate IPC and network communications. Mediation of these is a wip - the use of d_path to generate the pathname used for mediation when a file is opened. - Generating the pathname using a reverse walk is considered ugly - A buffer is alloced to store the generated path name. - The buffer size has a configurable upper limit which will cause opens to fail if the pathname length exceeds this limit. This is a fail closed behavior. - there have been some concerns expressed about the performance of this approach We are evaluating our options on how best to address this issue.