* Executable file format, locating stack?
@ 2007-12-01 18:09 Joshua Hudson
From: Joshua Hudson @ 2007-12-01 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Is there an executable file format that can specify things like where
the stack ends up?
Yes, I really do care. I want to put the stack at the top of virtual
address space rather than randomized.

* Re: Executable file format, locating stack?
@ 2007-12-01 20:42 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2007-12-01 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Hudson; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 10:09:28 -0800
"Joshua Hudson" <joshudson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is there an executable file format that can specify things like where
> the stack ends up?
> Yes, I really do care. I want to put the stack at the top of virtual
> address space rather than randomized.

just set the personality with setarch if you don't want randomisation.

Why is it that you can't cope with randomization? You'll have SOME
randomziation no matter what because each glibc compile will have a
slightly different footprint on the stack before your app gets to it,
as do the various environment variables and kernel AT_ variables.

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org