* 2.6.23.9, make install doesn't work with grub anymore??
@ 2007-12-02  1:51 Scott Noone
From: Scott Noone @ 2007-12-02  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hello,

I downloaded the vanilla kernels 2.6.23.8 and 2.6.23.9 from kernel.org.  I unpacked them like I have every other kernel release.  I compiled the kernel successfully, did the make modules and make modules_install with no problems.  When I did the make install I am told it Cannot find LILO.  The message seems to come from /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9/arch/i386/boot/install.sh
The script is correct that I don't have lilo installed, I have used grub for quite some time.  I don't remember having this problem with older kernels, sorry I don't remember one of the top of head.  Did something change or is:
cp .config /usr/src/linux-2.6.23-9
make menuconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
make install
no longer adequate to compile and install a kernel?

Thanks,
Scott
Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live.Download today it's FREE!
http://www.windowslive.com/share.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_sharelife_112007

* Re: 2.6.23.9, make install doesn't work with grub anymore??
@ 2007-12-02  6:27 ` Arjan van de Ven
From: Arjan van de Ven @ 2007-12-02  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Scott Noone; +Cc: linux-kernel

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:51:14 -0500
Scott Noone <nwi_sub@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I downloaded the vanilla kernels 2.6.23.8 and 2.6.23.9 from
> kernel.org.  I unpacked them like I have every other kernel release.
> I compiled the kernel successfully, did the make modules and make
> modules_install with no problems.  When I did the make install I am
> told it Cannot find LILO.  The message seems to come
> from /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9/arch/i386/boot/install.sh The script is
> correct that I don't have lilo installed, I have used grub for quite
> some time.  I don't remember having this problem with older kernels,
> sorry I don't remember one of the top of head.  Did something change
> or is: cp .config /usr/src/linux-2.6.23-9 make menuconfig make make
> modules make modules_install make install no longer adequate to
> compile and install a kernel?

Hi,

actually this isn't the fault of the kernel; the grub/lilo/etc stuff is
done by a distro specific script that just gets called from make
install...

did you happen to change distros or update something like an
initscripts or similar package recently?

Greetings,
   Arjan van de Ven

--
If you want to reach me at my work email, use arjan@linux.intel.com
visit http://www.lesswatts.org

* RE: 2.6.23.9, make install doesn't work with grub anymore??
@ 2007-12-03  1:51   ` Scott White
From: Scott White @ 2007-12-03  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arjan van de Ven; +Cc: linux-kernel

> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2007 22:27:20 -0800
> From: arjan@infradead.org
> To: nwi_sub@hotmail.com
> CC: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
> Subject: Re: 2.6.23.9, make install doesn't work with grub anymore??
>
> On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:51:14 -0500
> Scott Noone  wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I downloaded the vanilla kernels 2.6.23.8 and 2.6.23.9 from
>> kernel.org. I unpacked them like I have every other kernel release.
>> I compiled the kernel successfully, did the make modules and make
>> modules_install with no problems. When I did the make install I am
>> told it Cannot find LILO. The message seems to come
>> from /usr/src/linux-2.6.23.9/arch/i386/boot/install.sh The script is
>> correct that I don't have lilo installed, I have used grub for quite
>> some time. I don't remember having this problem with older kernels,
>> sorry I don't remember one of the top of head. Did something change
>> or is: cp .config /usr/src/linux-2.6.23-9 make menuconfig make make
>> modules make modules_install make install no longer adequate to
>> compile and install a kernel?
>
> Hi,
>
> actually this isn't the fault of the kernel; the grub/lilo/etc stuff is
> done by a distro specific script that just gets called from make
> install...
>
> did you happen to change distros or update something like an
> initscripts or similar package recently?
>
> Greetings,
> Arjan van de Ven

Yes I just temporarily switched from Fedora to Slax for a medium sized project I am working on.  I wanted to stick with Fedora, but the requirements are forcing me to use Slax.

I assumed the problem was with the kernel since install.sh came with the kernel.org kernel.  Now this may be a silly question, but why is the install script distro specific?  I assumed that the install script would be modular like the kernel.  If a new bootloader came out, just add a module.  Please keep in mind I have no knowledge of the kernel internals.  I just compile and go.

Thanks,
Scott

Your smile counts. The more smiles you share, the more we donate.  Join in.