On 17/01/08 23:52 +0100, Arnd Hannemann wrote: > >> Watchdog for the new API would be great :-) > > > > Coming soon. As promised, a watchdog driver for the Geode GX/LX processors is attached. I basically just ported the previous patch forward to 2.6.24. I also have good news or bad news depending on your perspective. I wanted to test this against 2.6.24, and OLPC is stuck at an older kernel version, so I had to test this with coreboot (LinuxBIOS) on another Geode platform. Like all BIOSen execpt for the OLPC firmware, coreboot uses VSA (SMM handler) which consumes all the timers. So I used the magical MSR and surprise! - the timer tick hung. I compiled out the timer tick, and tested the watchdog timer instead, and it worked fine on timer 0. So I don't think the MFGPTs themselves have anything to do with this problem, but I do think it might be related to VSA and possibly interrupts too. I'm going to invoke the strong BIOS fu of our LinuxBIOS / BIOS expert Marc Jones, and see what he comes up with. I don't know how much of a hassle it would be for Andres to get a 2.6.24 kernel running on the OLPC to make sure that this isn't a regression in the timer tick code (I suspect it isn't a regression, but you never know). I also think that it would probably be in our best interest to default CONFIG_GEODE_MFGPT_TIMER to 'n' until we get this figured out. Since most BIOSen don't have timers available, that shouldn't affect too many people. So, anyway, enjoy the watchdog timer - I hope it meets everybody's expectations for the 2.6.25 kernel. Jordan -- Jordan Crouse Systems Software Development Engineer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.