* Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-19 23:58 Linus Torvalds
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Linus Torvalds @ 2012-01-19 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

So the subject says it all. It's been two weeks(+a day), and 3.3-rc1 is now out.

There are a couple of trees I haven't merged on purpose, and there may
be a few trees I overlooked by mistake. The "on purpose" ones were
things that looked unfamiliar and I felt I didn't have the bandwidth
to check. The "mistake" ones would just be things I missed due to
being busy.

And it really was a pretty busy merge window. I don't know *why* it
felt so busy, though. In pure numbers, the merge window seems to have
been pretty normal - the number of merges and regular commits are
right where you'd expect them. Part of it was spending what felt like
(and I think was) a couple of days chasing down two independent
suspend/resume regressions on my laptop, part of it was a couple of
just bad pull requests, and some of it was some of the independent
discussions that were on-going. But none of that is unheard of, so
what do I know..

Anyway, it's out now, and I'm taking off early for a weekend of beer,
skiing and poker (not necessarily in that order: "don't drink and
ski"). No email.

So if you felt that your pull request was overlooked by mistake (or
intentionally, but really not so scary that you think I should have a
really easy time checking it), you have a couple of days to marshal
your arguments for why I should pull it after all.

And if you didn't send your pull request in time: "Phhhthrthtpt!". No
arguments for that one.

(Stats for those that like them: 20% arch updates (arm, power, mips,
x86), 60% drivers (networking - wireless in particular, staging,
media, dri, sound, misc - including getting rid of 'struct sysdev'),
and 20% random stuff: filesystems, networking, perf etc)

                              Linus

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-20  4:14 ` Stephen Rothwell
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Stephen Rothwell @ 2012-01-20  4:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:28 -0800 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> (Stats for those that like them: 20% arch updates (arm, power, mips,
> x86), 60% drivers (networking - wireless in particular, staging,
> media, dri, sound, misc - including getting rid of 'struct sysdev'),
> and 20% random stuff: filesystems, networking, perf etc)

More stats for the bored:

(I don't count merge commits below and everything is relative to v3.2)

Of the 8899 commits in v3.3-rc1, 6918 were in next-20120106 (the first
-next based on v3.2).  A further 792 commits have the same subject line as
commits in next-20120116 and a further 16 have the same patch-id.

This leaves 1174 commits (13%) in v3.3-rc1 that were not in next-20120106
for some reason (not too bad really, I guess).  Some will clearly be bug
fixes, of course.  Some will be quilt trees (probably rebased before
being sent to Linus).  Some will be patches that depend on work by others.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr@canb.auug.org.au

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 836 bytes --]

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-20 17:41   ` Steven Rostedt
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Steven Rostedt @ 2012-01-20 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 03:14:52PM +1100, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> This leaves 1174 commits (13%) in v3.3-rc1 that were not in next-20120106
> for some reason (not too bad really, I guess).  Some will clearly be bug
> fixes, of course.  Some will be quilt trees (probably rebased before
> being sent to Linus).  Some will be patches that depend on work by others.

Well, 19 of those were ktest patches. Although it's not something we
need to worry about, as it's just a script for users to test their
kernels and not something that would conflict with others. I'll send out
that email to get ktest included into linux-next regardless.

Thanks!

-- Steve

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-20 20:15   ` Junio C Hamano
From: Junio C Hamano @ 2012-01-20 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> writes:

> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:28 -0800 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>>
>> (Stats for those that like them: 20% arch updates (arm, power, mips,
>> x86), 60% drivers (networking - wireless in particular, staging,
>> media, dri, sound, misc - including getting rid of 'struct sysdev'),
>> and 20% random stuff: filesystems, networking, perf etc)
>
> More stats for the bored:
>
> (I don't count merge commits below and everything is relative to v3.2)

Even more stats for the really bored:

(I count only merge commits below and everything is relative to v3.2)

There are 171 merges by Linus, merging 174 side branches (there were two
Octopus merges, one merging two and the other merging three topics), 35
among which are pulling signed tags (20%).

No lieutenant pulled signed tags from his or her contributors.

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-22 10:35   ` Geert Uytterhoeven
From: Geert Uytterhoeven @ 2012-01-22 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 05:14, Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:28 -0800 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
>> (Stats for those that like them: 20% arch updates (arm, power, mips,
>> x86), 60% drivers (networking - wireless in particular, staging,
>> media, dri, sound, misc - including getting rid of 'struct sysdev'),
>> and 20% random stuff: filesystems, networking, perf etc)
>
> More stats for the bored:
>
> (I don't count merge commits below and everything is relative to v3.2)
>
> Of the 8899 commits in v3.3-rc1, 6918 were in next-20120106 (the first
> -next based on v3.2).  A further 792 commits have the same subject line as
> commits in next-20120116 and a further 16 have the same patch-id.
>
> This leaves 1174 commits (13%) in v3.3-rc1 that were not in next-20120106
> for some reason (not too bad really, I guess).  Some will clearly be bug
> fixes, of course.  Some will be quilt trees (probably rebased before
> being sent to Linus).  Some will be patches that depend on work by others.

Even more stats for the bored (more details in "Build regressions/improvements
in v3.3-rc1"): 80 new build errors were introduced.

(Un?)fortunately not all of them can be attributed to the changesets
that skipped
-next, as I know of several that affected the builds I'm most
interested in in -next.

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

                        Geert

                                -- Linus Torvalds

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-23  9:17 ` Ohad Ben-Cohen
From: Ohad Ben-Cohen @ 2012-01-23  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Tony Lindgren, Andrew Morton, Arnd Bergmann,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Grant Likely, Linus Walleij,
	Stephen Boyd, Rusty Russell, Brian Swetland

Hi Linus,

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> There are a couple of trees I haven't merged on purpose, and there may
> be a few trees I overlooked by mistake. The "on purpose" ones were
> things that looked unfamiliar and I felt I didn't have the bandwidth
> to check. The "mistake" ones would just be things I missed due to
> being busy.

I guess that the remoteproc/rpmsg tree belongs to the "on purpose" department :)

> So if you felt that your pull request was overlooked by mistake (or
> intentionally, but really not so scary that you think I should have a
> really easy time checking it), you have a couple of days to marshal
> your arguments for why I should pull it after all.

I realize there's a slim chance to get it merged at this point, but I
do think that both remoteproc and rpmsg are not so scary:

* The code is completely self contained, and the only few external
places it changes amount to grabbing a new virtio id (which is
Acked-by Rusty) and some OMAP init platform code (which is Acked-by
Tony). People who aren't explicitly using it won't notice it's there;
even its Kconfig entries get selected automatically when relevant
(i.e. only on OMAP4 at this point) and would never show up otherwise.

* Remoteproc is just a driver. It had to be generic, because there's
very little platform-specific parts in it, and lots of different SoCs
need something like it, but all in all it's a simple driver that loads
a firmware and power up a remote core.

* Rpmsg is, essentially, a simple send/receive API that allows drivers
to communicate with remote services. The real gory details (and wit!)
are actually handled by virtio, which is used as the shared-memory
"wire" protocol with the remote core. Thanks to virtio, rpmsg ended up
very simple and lightweight. It had to be generic, too, because
there's nothing platform-specific in it, and drivers for remote
services could easily end up being used on several different
platforms.

* These frameworks have been discussed in embedded/ARM circles for
quite some time, and numerous maintainers support it, including Arnd
and Grant.

It's a real need for many SoCs, and not a niche hardware support: this
drives, e.g., the camera and video use cases of the Galaxy Nexus
phone. At this point there are several teams, spanning several
vendors, which look into adding support for this (and further
developing it), so merging it will just make collaboration easier.

Hope this all makes sense (and sorry for the sales pitch :).

Thanks,
Ohad.

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-23 13:18   ` Grant Likely
From: Grant Likely @ 2012-01-23 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ohad Ben-Cohen, Linus Torvalds
  Cc: Tony Lindgren, Andrew Morton, Arnd Bergmann,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linus Walleij, Stephen Boyd,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:17:46AM +0200, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 1:58 AM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> > There are a couple of trees I haven't merged on purpose, and there may
> > be a few trees I overlooked by mistake. The "on purpose" ones were
> > things that looked unfamiliar and I felt I didn't have the bandwidth
> > to check. The "mistake" ones would just be things I missed due to
> > being busy.
>
> I guess that the remoteproc/rpmsg tree belongs to the "on purpose" department :)
>
> > So if you felt that your pull request was overlooked by mistake (or
> > intentionally, but really not so scary that you think I should have a
> > really easy time checking it), you have a couple of days to marshal
> > your arguments for why I should pull it after all.
>
> I realize there's a slim chance to get it merged at this point, but I
> do think that both remoteproc and rpmsg are not so scary:
>
> * The code is completely self contained, and the only few external
> places it changes amount to grabbing a new virtio id (which is
> Acked-by Rusty) and some OMAP init platform code (which is Acked-by
> Tony). People who aren't explicitly using it won't notice it's there;
> even its Kconfig entries get selected automatically when relevant
> (i.e. only on OMAP4 at this point) and would never show up otherwise.

Hi Linus,

I'd also like to see this merged.  Rather than going off and inventing
something completely new, Ohad has built on the existing virtio
infrastructure to implement IPC between CPUs and DSPs running
different operating environments.  This is a strong step in the
RightDirection(tm) in my opinion and such behaviour should be
encouraged.  :-)

g.

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-23 15:06 ` Carlos Chinea
From: Carlos Chinea @ 2012-01-23 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Linus Torvalds
  Cc: linux-omap, ext Linus Walleij, peter_henn, sjur.brandeland,
	govindraj.ti, pawel.szyszuk, Sebastian Reichel, artem.bityutskiy,
	Andras Domokos, ext Shubhrajyoti, ext Alan Cox,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List

Hi Linus,

On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 15:58 -0800, ext Linus Torvalds wrote:
> So the subject says it all. It's been two weeks(+a day), and 3.3-rc1 is now out.
>
> There are a couple of trees I haven't merged on purpose, and there may
> be a few trees I overlooked by mistake. The "on purpose" ones were
> things that looked unfamiliar and I felt I didn't have the bandwidth
> to check. The "mistake" ones would just be things I missed due to
> being busy.

Is the HSI framework pull on the "on purpose" list ?

https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/13/116

Several people have shown interest for this to be integrated in the
kernel to help development.The framework is already in use in Nokia
products like N9.

Br,
Carlos Chinea

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-23 15:18     ` Arnd Bergmann
From: Arnd Bergmann @ 2012-01-23 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Grant Likely
  Cc: Ohad Ben-Cohen, Linus Torvalds, Tony Lindgren, Andrew Morton,

On Monday 23 January 2012, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:17:46AM +0200, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
>
> > I realize there's a slim chance to get it merged at this point, but I
> > do think that both remoteproc and rpmsg are not so scary:
> >
> > * The code is completely self contained, and the only few external
> > places it changes amount to grabbing a new virtio id (which is
> > Acked-by Rusty) and some OMAP init platform code (which is Acked-by
> > Tony). People who aren't explicitly using it won't notice it's there;
> > even its Kconfig entries get selected automatically when relevant
> > (i.e. only on OMAP4 at this point) and would never show up otherwise.
>
> Hi Linus,
>
> I'd also like to see this merged.  Rather than going off and inventing
> something completely new, Ohad has built on the existing virtio
> infrastructure to implement IPC between CPUs and DSPs running
> different operating environments.  This is a strong step in the
> RightDirection(tm) in my opinion and such behaviour should be
> encouraged.  :-)

Agreed. I had reviewed earlier versions of this and they looked very
good.

	Arnd

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-23 19:43   ` Linus Walleij
From: Linus Walleij @ 2012-01-23 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Chinea
  Cc: ext Linus Torvalds, linux-omap, peter_henn, sjur.brandeland,

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Carlos Chinea <carlos.chinea@nokia.com> wrote:
> Hi Linus,
>
> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 15:58 -0800, ext Linus Torvalds wrote:
>> So the subject says it all. It's been two weeks(+a day), and 3.3-rc1 is now out.
>>
>> There are a couple of trees I haven't merged on purpose, and there may
>> be a few trees I overlooked by mistake. The "on purpose" ones were
>> things that looked unfamiliar and I felt I didn't have the bandwidth
>> to check. The "mistake" ones would just be things I missed due to
>> being busy.
>>

> Is the HSI framework pull on the "on purpose" list ?
>
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/13/116
>
> Several people have shown interest for this to be integrated in the
> kernel to help development.The framework is already in use in Nokia
> products like N9.

We (ST-Ericsson) also use this framework and we have a driver
for it in the works and submitted to the list at one time I think.
I am sorry if I have not ACK:ed all patches but I have my ack on
the big one.

That said I suspect it mightn't have been pulled because
Torvalds cannot verify who you are, and/or that there is no signed
tag on it? GPG keys are getting mandatory, though it's sad if it's
becoming a barrier to entry.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-24  0:32       ` Rusty Russell
From: Rusty Russell @ 2012-01-24  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arnd Bergmann, Grant Likely
  Cc: Ohad Ben-Cohen, Linus Torvalds, Tony Lindgren, Andrew Morton,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Linus Walleij, Stephen Boyd,
	Brian Swetland

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:18:25 +0000, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de> wrote:
> On Monday 23 January 2012, Grant Likely wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:17:46AM +0200, Ohad Ben-Cohen wrote:
> >
> > > I realize there's a slim chance to get it merged at this point, but I
> > > do think that both remoteproc and rpmsg are not so scary:
> > >
> > > * The code is completely self contained, and the only few external
> > > places it changes amount to grabbing a new virtio id (which is
> > > Acked-by Rusty) and some OMAP init platform code (which is Acked-by
> > > Tony). People who aren't explicitly using it won't notice it's there;
> > > even its Kconfig entries get selected automatically when relevant
> > > (i.e. only on OMAP4 at this point) and would never show up otherwise.
> >
> > Hi Linus,
> >
> > I'd also like to see this merged.  Rather than going off and inventing
> > something completely new, Ohad has built on the existing virtio
> > infrastructure to implement IPC between CPUs and DSPs running
> > different operating environments.  This is a strong step in the
> > RightDirection(tm) in my opinion and such behaviour should be
> > encouraged.  :-)
> >

> Agreed. I had reviewed earlier versions of this and they looked very
> good.

Plus I don't think delay will help in any way; it'll just go in as-is,
one merge window later...

Thanks,
Rusty.

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-24 18:57     ` Carlos Chinea
From: Carlos Chinea @ 2012-01-24 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ext Linus Walleij
  Cc: ext Linus Torvalds, linux-omap, peter_henn, sjur.brandeland,

On Mon, 2012-01-23 at 20:43 +0100, ext Linus Walleij wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM, Carlos Chinea <carlos.chinea@nokia.com> wrote:
> > Hi Linus,
> >
> > On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 15:58 -0800, ext Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >> So the subject says it all. It's been two weeks(+a day), and 3.3-rc1 is now out.
> >>
> >> There are a couple of trees I haven't merged on purpose, and there may
> >> be a few trees I overlooked by mistake. The "on purpose" ones were
> >> things that looked unfamiliar and I felt I didn't have the bandwidth
> >> to check. The "mistake" ones would just be things I missed due to
> >> being busy.
> >>

> > Is the HSI framework pull on the "on purpose" list ?
> >
> > https://lkml.org/lkml/2012/1/13/116
> >
> > Several people have shown interest for this to be integrated in the
> > kernel to help development.The framework is already in use in Nokia
> > products like N9.
>
> We (ST-Ericsson) also use this framework and we have a driver
> for it in the works and submitted to the list at one time I think.
> I am sorry if I have not ACK:ed all patches but I have my ack on
> the big one.
>
> That said I suspect it mightn't have been pulled because
> Torvalds cannot verify who you are, and/or that there is no signed
> tag on it? GPG keys are getting mandatory, though it's sad if it's
> becoming a barrier to entry.

There is a signed tag (hsi_for_3.3), but said it so is true that my key
was signed only by one person. Today I've managed to meet Artem
Bityutskiy and he has now also signed the key. However, It is my
understanding that's not enough :(

I guess there is also the issue of the Reviewed and Acked tags.
Currently the commits only have your Acked for the framework.
>From this

https://lkml.org/lkml/2011/6/14/112

I guess I can add also Alan Cox Acked-by tag to patch set, but I have
forgotten to add it to the commit logs :(

Br,
Carlos Chinea

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-25 11:35       ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-01-25 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos Chinea
  Cc: ext Linus Walleij, ext Linus Torvalds, linux-omap, peter_henn,
	sjur.brandeland, govindraj.ti, pawel.szyszuk, Sebastian Reichel,
	Andras Domokos, ext Shubhrajyoti, ext Alan Cox,
	Linux Kernel Mailing List, Pekka Enberg

You may try to approach Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org>

--

Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-25 11:47         ` Pekka Enberg
From: Pekka Enberg @ 2012-01-25 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: artem.bityutskiy
  Cc: Carlos Chinea, ext Linus Walleij, ext Linus Torvalds, linux-omap,
	peter_henn, sjur.brandeland, govindraj.ti, pawel.szyszuk,
	Sebastian Reichel, Andras Domokos, ext Shubhrajyoti,
	ext Alan Cox, Linux Kernel Mailing List

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Artem Bityutskiy
<artem.bityutskiy@linux.intel.com> wrote:
>> There is a signed tag (hsi_for_3.3), but said it so is true that my key
>> was signed only by one person. Today I've managed to meet Artem
>> Bityutskiy and he has now also signed the key. However, It is my
>> understanding that's not enough :(
>
> You may try to approach Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org>

I pretty much don't sign keys for people I don't know personally, sorry.

                        Pekka

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-25 12:06           ` Artem Bityutskiy
From: Artem Bityutskiy @ 2012-01-25 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pekka Enberg
  Cc: Carlos Chinea, ext Linus Walleij, ext Linus Torvalds, linux-omap,

On Wed, 2012-01-25 at 13:47 +0200, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Artem Bityutskiy
> <artem.bityutskiy@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> >> There is a signed tag (hsi_for_3.3), but said it so is true that my key
> >> was signed only by one person. Today I've managed to meet Artem
> >> Bityutskiy and he has now also signed the key. However, It is my
> >> understanding that's not enough :(
> >
> > You may try to approach Pekka Enberg <penberg@kernel.org>
>
> I pretty much don't sign keys for people I don't know personally, sorry.

I did not suggest that, of course. I meant that you are also in Helsinki
and if Carlos knows you he could approach you.

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2012-01-26  9:48   ` Andrew Morton
From: Andrew Morton @ 2012-01-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 15:14:52 +1100 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 15:58:28 -0800 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> >
> > (Stats for those that like them: 20% arch updates (arm, power, mips,
> > x86), 60% drivers (networking - wireless in particular, staging,
> > media, dri, sound, misc - including getting rid of 'struct sysdev'),
> > and 20% random stuff: filesystems, networking, perf etc)
>
> More stats for the bored:
>
> (I don't count merge commits below and everything is relative to v3.2)
>
> Of the 8899 commits in v3.3-rc1, 6918 were in next-20120106 (the first
> -next based on v3.2).  A further 792 commits have the same subject line as
> commits in next-20120116 and a further 16 have the same patch-id.
>
> This leaves 1174 commits (13%) in v3.3-rc1 that were not in next-20120106
> for some reason (not too bad really, I guess).

That's a lot.  Please name names!

I was impacted by several busted patches which had not appeared in
-next.

Also, I saw numerous patches which were significantly altered during
their trip from -next to mainline, which is cheating.  These showed up
as a massive reject storm when I attempted to git-merge linus-now with
next-from-12-hours-ago.  I went in and checked.  tools/perf was a major
culprit.

> Some will clearly be bug
> fixes, of course.  Some will be quilt trees (probably rebased before
> being sent to Linus).  Some will be patches that depend on work by others.

The quilt trees would have been eliminated by the "commits have the
same subject line" test?

I don't think this is all a huuuge problem - we sort this stuff out
fairly quickly.  But things could be improved a bit.

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-01-31 16:56         ` Paolo Bonzini
From: Paolo Bonzini @ 2012-01-31 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusty Russell
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Grant Likely, Ohad Ben-Cohen, Linus Torvalds,
	Tony Lindgren, Andrew Morton, Linux Kernel Mailing List,
	Linus Walleij, Stephen Boyd, Brian Swetland

On 01/24/2012 01:32 AM, Rusty Russell wrote:
>> >  >  >
>> >  >  >  * The code is completely self contained, and the only few external
>> >  >  >  places it changes amount to grabbing a new virtio id (which is
>> >  >  >  Acked-by Rusty) and some OMAP init platform code (which is Acked-by
>> >  >  >  Tony). People who aren't explicitly using it won't notice it's there;
>> >  >  >  even its Kconfig entries get selected automatically when relevant
>> >  >  >  (i.e. only on OMAP4 at this point) and would never show up otherwise.
>>  >
>>  >  Hi Linus,
>>  >
>>  >  I'd also like to see this merged.  Rather than going off and inventing
>>  >  something completely new, Ohad has built on the existing virtio
>>  >  infrastructure to implement IPC between CPUs and DSPs running
>>  >  different operating environments.  This is a strong step in the
>>  >  RightDirection(tm) in my opinion and such behaviour should be
>>  >  encouraged.:-)

I didn't see any virtio spec patches for rpmsg, with the result that
virtio id 7 is being used also by the virtio-scsi patches.  I can
certainly push virtio-scsi to 8, but perhaps there's something to
improve on the communication side...

The code for both drivers seems more or less at the same stage ("wait
for someone to pull", respectively Linus and James Bottomley).

Paolo

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-02-01  2:49           ` Rusty Russell
From: Rusty Russell @ 2012-02-01  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paolo Bonzini
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Grant Likely, Ohad Ben-Cohen, Linus Torvalds,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 17:56:22 +0100, Paolo Bonzini <pbonzini@redhat.com> wrote:
> >>  >
> >>  >  Hi Linus,
> >>  >
> >>  >  I'd also like to see this merged.  Rather than going off and inventing
> >>  >  something completely new, Ohad has built on the existing virtio
> >>  >  infrastructure to implement IPC between CPUs and DSPs running
> >>  >  different operating environments.  This is a strong step in the
> >>  >  RightDirection(tm) in my opinion and such behaviour should be
> >>  >  encouraged.:-)
>
> I didn't see any virtio spec patches for rpmsg, with the result that
> virtio id 7 is being used also by the virtio-scsi patches.  I can
> certainly push virtio-scsi to 8, but perhaps there's something to
> improve on the communication side...
>
> The code for both drivers seems more or less at the same stage ("wait
> for someone to pull", respectively Linus and James Bottomley).

Sorry I didn't spot this myself.  I tend to hand out numbers before the
spec is complete, to avoid this kind of problem.  But you should also
ask for a number for the same reason :)

rpmsg definitely got assigned 7 in my copy of the spec already, but I
was remiss in not publishing it earlier.  I have added scsi as 8, please
change.

Ohad, do you have an up-to-date lyx patch for me with the final spec?

Thanks,
Rusty.

* Re: Linux 3.3-1 out - merge window closed
@ 2012-02-01  6:47             ` Ohad Ben-Cohen
From: Ohad Ben-Cohen @ 2012-02-01  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusty Russell
  Cc: Paolo Bonzini, Arnd Bergmann, Grant Likely, Linus Torvalds,

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 4:49 AM, Rusty Russell <rusty@rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> Ohad, do you have an up-to-date lyx patch for me with the final spec?

Sure - I'll prepare an updated one and send it over.

Thanks!
Ohad.