* Hang up at .prepare( )
@ 2012-01-24  9:38 Tomoya MORINAGA
From: Tomoya MORINAGA @ 2012-01-24  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood, Mark Brown, Jaroslav Kysela, Takashi Iwai,
	Lars-Peter Clausen, Dimitris Papastamos, Mike Frysinger,
	Daniel Mack, alsa-devel, linux-kernel

Hi

I've started debugging our ASoC drivers.
I've faced issue when installing these drivers,
system becomes hang up at async_synchronize_full_domain() of
dapm_power_widgets()
in .prepare().

Do you have any information about this hang up ?

I show details below.

======Details============

 * Procedure
install codec-driver
install platform-driver
install machine driver

echo ml26124 0x1A > /sys/bus/i2c/devices/i2c-1/new_device
After this command,
occur system hang up within a few seconds

 * Call Trees

platform-driver:.open()
machine-driver:.hw_params()
codec-driver:.hw_params()
platform-driver:.dai_hw_params()
platform-driver:.hw_params()
platform-driver:.prepare()
platform-driver:.dai_digital_mute()
platform-driver:.prepare()
platform-driver:.dai_digital_mute()

platform-driver:.open()
machine-driver:.hw_params()
codec-driver:.hw_params()
platform-driver:.dai_hw_params()
platform-driver:.hw_params()
platform-driver:.prepare()
platform-driver:.dai_digital_mute()
platform-driver:.prepare()
platform-driver:.dai_digital_mute()
platform-driver:.hw_free
platform-driver:.dai_hw_free
platform-driver:.hw_free
platform-driver:.dai_hw_free
platform-driver:.close()

[...]

==> Occur system hang up.

According to system log,
the hang up seems occuring at async_synchronize_full_domain(),
which is at soc_pcm_prepare -> soc_dapm_stream_event ->
dapm_power_widgets -> async_synchronize_full_domain [2nd call]

 * Test condition
CPU=Intel Atom E6xx series
IOH=LAPIS Semiconductor ML7213
Fedora15
Kernel=3.2

thanks in advance.
tomoya

* Re: Hang up at .prepare( )
@ 2012-01-24 10:55 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2012-01-24 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomoya MORINAGA
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Jaroslav Kysela, Takashi Iwai, Lars-Peter Clausen,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 06:38:45PM +0900, Tomoya MORINAGA wrote:

> I've faced issue when installing these drivers,
> system becomes hang up at async_synchronize_full_domain() of
> dapm_power_widgets()
> in .prepare().

> Do you have any information about this hang up ?

> I show details below.

What efforts have you made to debug this yourself?  Clearly this is not
happening for other people, perhaps it is related to something you have
in your drivers - have you addressed the issues raised with them?

* Re: Hang up at .prepare( )
@ 2012-01-24 11:30   ` Tomoya MORINAGA
From: Tomoya MORINAGA @ 2012-01-24 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Jaroslav Kysela, Takashi Iwai, Lars-Peter Clausen,

2012/1/24 Mark Brown <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>:
> What efforts have you made to debug this yourself?  Clearly this is not
> happening for other people, perhaps it is related to something you have
> in your drivers - have you addressed the issues raised with them?

I said previously, "our ASoC drivers" not others.
Of course, I understand current upstreamed drivers don't have this issue.
I just asked "If someone faced the same issue when debugging, let me
know about it."

thanks,

* Re: Hang up at .prepare( )
@ 2012-01-24 11:42     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2012-01-24 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tomoya MORINAGA
  Cc: Liam Girdwood, Jaroslav Kysela, Takashi Iwai, Lars-Peter Clausen,

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 08:30:17PM +0900, Tomoya MORINAGA wrote:
> 2012/1/24 Mark Brown <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>:
> > What efforts have you made to debug this yourself?  Clearly this is not
> > happening for other people, perhaps it is related to something you have
> > in your drivers - have you addressed the issues raised with them?

> I said previously, "our ASoC drivers" not others.
> Of course, I understand current upstreamed drivers don't have this issue.
> I just asked "If someone faced the same issue when debugging, let me
> know about it."

That's not answering my question - I'm asking you what steps you've
taken to progress, to explain the analysis you've done so far.  For
example, what is the blocked thread blocked on - what is it waiting for
and why has that thing happened?

If you have not addressed the review issues with your driver then take a
look at those, perhaps the problem has already been identified through
code review.