From: Mark Brown <broonie@opensource.wolfsonmicro.com>
To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Liam Girdwood <lrg@ti.com>
Subject: Re: Regulator update for 3.3
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:43:45 +0000	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 09:14:56AM -0800, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 5:42 AM, Mark Brown

> > are available in the git repository at:

> >  git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/broonie/regulator.git for-linus

> "Already up-to-date."

> Forgot to push?

Not quite, I had pushed a new signed tag but I hadn't deleted the old
for-linus branch (which you had merged).  Since git prefers branches
to tags when pulling it was looking at the old branch and ignoring the
signed tag.  Should be cleaned up now, at least I deleted the branch and
everything looks OK in gitweb.

I actually noticed this with some other things I was doing, what I think
I want git to do when working with signed tags is allow me to have a tag
with the same name as the branch and prefer the tag rather than the
branch.  That way I can tell people to pull from a given name and it'll
do the right thing if they're using a git that understands pulling from
tags or not.  Either that or complain bitterly and mock me if I'm so
foolish as to have a tag and branch with the same name.