From: Frederic Weisbecker <fweisbec@gmail.com>
To: Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu>
Cc: Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl>,
	Andrew Steets <asteets@rgmadvisors.com>,
	linux-perf-users@vger.kernel.org, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org,
	Paul Mackerras <paulus@samba.org>,
	Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo <acme@ghostprotocols.net>
Subject: Re: perf: prctl(PR_TASK_PERF_EVENTS_DISABLE) has no effect
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 20:03:29 +0100	[thread overview]

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 11:11:21AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * Peter Zijlstra <a.p.zijlstra@chello.nl> wrote:

> > > That usecase indeed makes sense. Peter, could we allow this
> > > for privileged tasks, depending on the perf_paranoia
> > > settings or such?
> >
> > I really dislike it. The sane way around this would be to
> > allow easy self-profiling instead of doing things arse about
> > face like that.
>
> So, what workflow are you suggesting to Andrew?
>
> I guess we are also hurting from the lack of dwarf stack
> backtrace decoding - that would allow the filtering by parent
> function without modifying the code. I think Frederic had a
> prototype working for 32-bit - any update on that?

I haven't touched that for a while. I would be glad if
somebody else could relay me on this work.

I think Jiri Olsa has been working on something about Dwarf cfi
unwinding with a different approach. Mine was about dumping chunks
of stack and regs and do the unwinding on post processing. I think
Jiri is doing the unwinding from the event overflow fast path.