On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 01:42:47PM -0600, Felipe Balbi wrote: > > > + if (of_property_read_bool(node, "clock-xtal")) > > > + flags |= CLK_IS_TYPE_XTAL; > > > + > > > > Introducing a new compatible instead of a property would make more > > sense here I think. > > > > Do you have a reason not to do so? > > As you can see, this is original work from Luca but I disagree that > adding a new compatible makes more sense. This still related to a fixed > rate clock, we're just giving it one extra metadata which will > differentiate between crystal and oscilator fixed rate clocks. I don't know, I think it's more a matter of consistency. If we turn the problem the other way around. Let's say we have a crystal that for some reason can't be used with clk-fixed-rate. You'd add a new driver for it, with a compatible of its own, and you'd put that XTAL flag in there, without any extra metadata in the DT, right? And I'm pretty sure having a compatible like "clk-xtal" would make it pretty obvious that it's still a fixed rate clock. Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering http://free-electrons.com