On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 04:57:10PM -0400, Nicolas Pitre wrote: > It is better not to think about compute capacity as being equivalent to > "CPU power". The upcoming "power aware" scheduler may create confusion > with the notion of energy consumption if "power" is used too liberally. > > This contains the architecture visible changes. Incidentally, only ARM > takes advantage of the available pow^H^H^Hcapacity scaling hooks and > therefore those changes outside kernel/sched/ are confined to one ARM > specific file. The default arch_scale_smt_power() hook is not overridden > by anyone. > > Replacements are as follows: > > arch_scale_freq_power --> arch_scale_freq_capacity > arch_scale_smt_power --> arch_scale_smt_capacity > SCHED_POWER_SCALE --> SCHED_CAPA_SCALE > SCHED_POWER_SHIFT --> SCHED_POWER_SHIFT The patch seems to actually make that CAPA_SHIFT > The local usage of "power" in arch/arm/kernel/topology.c is also changed > to "capacity" as appropriate. For some reason every time I read: 'capa' I think of some south American monster -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chupacabra, I'm not at all sure why my brain links them. But yes, once we kill the capacity stuff we have now with some utilization bound, capacity becomes uniquely the compute capacity.