On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 02:45:39 -0700 Christoph Hellwig wrote: > On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 04:27:00PM +1000, NeilBrown wrote: > > A worthwhile goal, but I certainly wouldn't consider pursuing it until what I > > have submitted so far as been accepted - let's not reject "good" while > > waiting for "perfect". > > It's still broken. You add conditional flag for the almost right > (almost because the flag in the filesystem type needs to go) Why does it have to go? I suspect you have a reason, but I can't read your mind. > while > leaving the broken option th default. You say it is broken, and yet people are using it and are having a degree of success. Surely the appropriate process is: - introduce a "better" option - examine each relevant filesystem and transition over to use the new option. - remove the "not so good" option. I'm still at step 1. > So what you propose here is not > good, it's at best just as bad as the old version because you don't > remove broken code but add a lot more clutter at the same time. What I propose is measurably better because it works with BTRFS now, and there seems to be a reasonable path towards making to generally better if someone cares enough to examine each filesystem. So I still claim you are pushing back against "good" because you want "perfect". NeilBrown