On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 06:08:24PM +0100, Srinivas Kandagatla wrote: > >>>+- external : flag to indicate if the I2S is connected to external codec > >not sure I understand why we need a boolean property indicating if an > >external CODEC is in use - what is the consequence of setting this > >property? > As of today, the consequence of setting this flag is to setup correct > dai_link names. > Also there are some limitations on which MI2S can be configured to external > or internal codecs, this flag can be used in future to validate such > configurations, if required. That validation sounds like something that the SoC drivers should be doing if required rather than the machine driver - otherwise every machine driver using this SoC would have to implement the same validation.