On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 10:15:25AM +0200, Arnd Bergmann wrote: > On Tuesday 29 September 2015 15:44:06 Felipe Balbi wrote: > > All devices should have a default status. Ignoring > > the arguments if it should be 'okay' or 'disabled' > > by default, let's set them all the 'disabled' and > > have boards enable 32k counter. > > > > Signed-off-by: Felipe Balbi > > > > The patch looks good, but the description is slightly incorrect: > There is no reason to list "status='okay'" other than overriding > the 'disabled' status. > > I'd phrase it something like: > > "We want the use of the 32k counter to be a per-board setting, > so let's disable it by default in each dtsi file and override the > setting in the boards. Any board that does not wire up the counter > should leave it disabled". > > However, if you really want all boards to provide the counter all > the time, I'd argue that we're better off dropping this patch. We > use the status="disabled" trick for anything that may or may not > be working based on the board design, but things that are present > everywhere don't need this. okay, so here's the thing. While fiddling with the 32k counter, I noticed that even though there was no status listed, the thing still initializes fine. However, when moving 32k to drivers/clocksource and using CLOCKSOURCE_OF_DECLARE(), 32k would *NOT* probe unless I had an explicit status = "okay" in DT. This is where this patch came from. I've used disabled by default because we just might have a board somewhere which doesn't want to use 32k counter and having it enabled per-board would help with that. Although, we could just set status = "disabled" for that one board. Whatever Tony prefers, I can change the patch accordingly. -- balbi