On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 02:20:21PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote: > On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 10:18:33AM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote: > > On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 02:28:35PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote: > > > I am not seeing a sync there, but I really have to defer to the > > > maintainers on this one. I could easily have missed one. > > > > So x86 implies a full barrier for everything that changes the CPL; and > > some form of implied ordering seems a must if you change the privilege > > level unless you tag every single load/store with the priv level at that > > time, which seems the more expensive option. > > > > So I suspect the typical implementation will flush all load/stores, > > change the effective priv level and continue. > > > > This can of course be implemented at a pure per CPU ordering (RCpc), > > which would be in line with the rest of Power, in which case you do > > indeed need an explicit sync to make it visible to other CPUs. > > Right - interrupts and returns from interrupt are context > synchronizing operations, which means they wait until all outstanding > instructions have got to the point where they have reported any > exceptions they're going to report, which means in turn that loads and > stores have completed address translation. But all of that doesn't > imply anything about the visibility of the loads and stores. > > There is a full barrier in the context switch path, but not in the > system call entry/exit path. > Thank you, Paul. That's much clear now ;-) Regards, Boqun