Hi Rob, On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 11:40:03AM -0500, Rob Herring wrote: > > +Display Engine Backend > > +---------------------- > > + > > +The display engine backend exposes layers and sprites to the > > +system. It's split into two components, the frontend and backend, the > > +frontend doing formats conversion, scaling, deinterlacing, while the > > +backend actually manages the layers. > > + > > +Required properties: > > + - compatible: value must be one of: > > + * allwinner,sun5i-a13-display-engine > > + > > + - reg: base address and size of the memory-mapped region. Two are needed: > > + * backend0: registers of the display engine backend > > + * frontend0: registers of the display engine frontend > > Why the zeros? I think they should be dropped. We have SoCs that have two backends and two frontends, hence why I added 0. I guess I can also add several devices for them, but then I'd need to move to the component framework I guess (which was the plan anyway). > > + > > + - allwinner,tcon: phandle to the TCON in our pipeline > > Use of-graph or just let the relationship live in the driver. If there > is only 1 instance of the blocks, the latter is fine. We can also have several TCON instances in the SoC, and even though you can on a theorical point of view use any TCON with any backend, usually you're tied because of how the pins are routed on the boards. Thanks! Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering http://free-electrons.com