Hi, On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 04:25:38PM +0000, Mark Brown wrote: > > > - When you come to consider it from an hardware point of view, the > > > device usually have a single pin that powers it. It's the board > > > designer that chose to route that pin to multiple regulators, so > > > it's really the board that is wired that way, and putting that > > > code in the consumer drivers would be an abstraction leak imho. > > > That's a good point. Perhaps the regulator core needs to be able to > > parse the list and return the single ptr to the virtual regulator. > > Exactly, if we don't want to represent the combination directly. For > most uses it's probably OK but I can see us in a situation where we > might want to do things like only use one of the regulators in low load > situations where we might want to attach properties to the merge of the > two regulators rather than just referencing them both. I'm not sure > that's realistic though or that we wouldn't just be working that use > case out dynamically at runtime. > > I'm ambivalent on which way is better, it does complicate the > implementation to support doing this as lists and while it makes the DT > more elegant I'm not clear that it's worth the effort especially when it > comes to constraint combining. But perhaps the implementation turns out > to be simpler than I would anticiapte. I guess a separate driver would make it easier to deal with cases like the one you suggested (shutting down when the load is going to be lower). I don't see how we could have a good DT representation of that if we're going to use lists. Anyway, I'm fine with both approaches, just let me know what you prefer. Thanks! Maxime -- Maxime Ripard, Free Electrons Embedded Linux, Kernel and Android engineering http://free-electrons.com