On Mon, Feb 22, 2016 at 11:15:09AM -0800, Doug Anderson wrote: > Note that historically I remember that Linus Torvalds has stated that > there is no stable API within the Linux kernel and that forcing the > in-kernel API to never change was bad for software development. I > tracked down my memory and found > . Linus is rabid about not > breaking userspace, but in general there's no strong requirement to > never change the driver API inside the kernel. That being said, > changing the driver API causes a lot of churn, so presumably changing > it in a backward compatible way (like adding to the API instead of > changing it) will make things happier. You do need to fix the users though, change is fine but you can't cause people's systems to break.