On Thu, Jul 07, 2016 at 10:16:16AM +0200, Lars Ellenberg wrote: > > > Instead, I suggest to distinguish between recursive calls to > > > generic_make_request(), and pushing back the remainder part in > > > blk_queue_split(), by pointing current->bio_lists to a > > > struct recursion_to_iteration_bio_lists { > > > struct bio_list recursion; > > > struct bio_list remainder; > > > } > > > > > > To have all bios targeted to drivers lower in the stack processed before > > > processing the next piece of a bio targeted at the higher levels, > > > as long as queued bios resulting from recursion are available, > > > they will continue to be processed in FIFO order. > > > Pushed back bio-parts resulting from blk_queue_split() will be processed > > > in LIFO order, one-by-one, whenever the recursion list becomes empty. > > > > I really like this change. It seems to precisely address the problem. > > The "problem" being that requests for "this" device are potentially > > mixed up with requests from underlying devices. > > However I'm not sure it is quite general enough. > > > > The "remainder" list is a stack of requests aimed at "this" level or > > higher, and I think it will always exactly fit that description. > > The "recursion" list needs to be a queue of requests aimed at the next > > level down, and that doesn't quiet work, because once you start acting > > on the first entry in that list, all the rest become "this" level. > > Uhm, well, > that's how it has been since you introduced this back in 2007, d89d879. > And it worked. > > > I think you can address this by always calling ->make_request_fn with an > > empty "recursion", then after the call completes, splice the "recursion" > > list that resulted (if any) on top of the "remainder" stack. > > > > This way, the "remainder" stack is always "requests for lower-level > > devices before request for upper level devices" and the "recursion" > > queue is always "requests for devices below the current level". > > Yes, I guess that would work as well, > but may need "empirical proof" to check for performance regressions. > > > I also really *don't* like the idea of punting to a separate thread - it > > seems to be just delaying the problem. > > > > Can you try move the bio_list_init(->recursion) call to just before > > the ->make_request_fn() call, and adding > > bio_list_merge_head(->remainder, ->recursion) > > just after? > > (or something like that) and confirm it makes sense, and works? > > Sure, will do. Attached, on top of the patch of my initial post. Also fixes the issue for me. > I'd suggest this would be a patch on its own though, on top of this one. > Because it would change the order in which stacked bios are processed > wrt the way it used to be since 2007 (my suggestion as is does not). > > Which may change performance metrics. > It may even improve some of them, > or maybe it does nothing, but we don't know. > > Thanks, > > Lars >