On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 08:55:49PM -0600, Peter Hurley wrote: > On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Sean Young wrote: > > On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 10:33:02AM -0500, Nathan wrote: > >> I think this should be PNP0501 instead of PNP0c02. > >> Once I alter that then when I boot the serial comes up on irq 3. However it > >> still hangs. > >> I'll keep digging. > > > > Well that's that theory out of the window. I'm not sure where to look now, > > I would start by enabling as many as possible of the "kernel hacking" config > > options and see if anything gets caught. > > > > Looking at your earlier messages, you have a collection of percpu allocation > > failures. That might be worth resolving before anything else. > > Hi Nathan, > > Couple of questions: > 1. Was login over serial console setup and working on SLES 11? or was > the 'console=ttyS1' only for debug output? > I ask because console output doesn't use IRQs; iow, maybe the serial > port w/ driver never actually worked. > 2. Can you post dmesg for the SLES 11 setup? That would show if there > were probe errors even on that. > > An alternative that should be equivalent to your previous setup is to > build w/ CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=n > Seems like your ACPI BIOS is buggy, but also that something else is using IRQ 3? > > Regards, > Peter Hurley 1) Yes I can confirm I used it to login sometimes. I built with CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_PNP=n and that seemed to work better, in that the system did not hang. However I couldn't login on the serial and got these error messages, I suspect I broke something while trying different permutations. gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.136636 seconds gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.180955 seconds gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmDisplay: display lasted 0.161415 seconds gdm[5206]: WARNING: GdmLocalDisplayFactory: maximum number of X display failures reached: check X server log for errors It did boot all the way though. 2) attached log