Hi! > > > NVS calibration data for wl1251 are model specific. Every one > > > device with wl1251 chip has different and calibrated in factory. > > > > > > Not all wl1251 chips have own EEPROM where are calibration data > > > stored. And in that case there is no "standard" place. Every > > > device has stored them on different place (some in rootfs file, > > > some in dedicated nand partition, some in another proprietary > > > structure). > > > > > > Kernel wl1251 driver cannot support every one different storage > > > decided by device manufacture so it will use > > > request_firmware_prefer_user() call for loading NVS calibration > > > data and userspace helper will be responsible to prepare correct > > > data. > > > > Responding to this patch as it provides a lot of context to discuss. > > As you might have gathered from earlier discussions I am not a fan > > of using user-space helper. I can agree that the kernel driver, > > wl1251 in this case, should be agnostic to platform specific details > > regarding storage solutions and the firmware api should hide that. > > However, it seems your only solution is adding user-space to the mix > > and changing the api towards that. Can we solve it without > > user-space help? > > Without userspace helper it means that userspace helper code must be > integrated into kernel. > > So what is userspace helper doing? > > 1) Read MAC address from CAL > 2) Read NVS data from CAL > 3) Modify MAC address in memory NVS data (new for this patch series) > 4) Modify in memory NVS data if we in FCC country > > Checking for country is done via dbus call to either Maemo cellular > daemon or alternatively via REGDOMAIN in /etc/default/crda. I have plan > to use ofono (instead Maemo cellular daemon) too... > > Currently we are using closed Nokia proprietary CAL library. > > Steps 1) and 2) needs closed library, step 4) needs dbus call. I guess pointer to the source code implementing this would be welcome. > > But on other devices that use wl1251, but for instance have no > > userspace helper the request to userspace will fail (after 60 sec?) > > and try VFS after that. Maybe not so nice. > > Currently support for those devices is broken (like for N900) as without > proper NVS data they do not work correctly... Is it expected to work at all, perhaps with degraded performance / range? Because it seems to work for me. Thanks, Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html