LKML Archive on lore.kernel.org
From: Tobias Klauser <tklauser@distanz.ch>
To: Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net>
Cc: Sven Schmidt <4sschmid@informatik.uni-hamburg.de>,
	Sandra Loosemore <sandra@codesourcery.com>,
	Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>,
	linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org, Ley Foon Tan <lftan@altera.com>,
	nios2-dev@lists.rocketboards.org
Subject: Re: nios2 crash/hang in mainline due to 'lib: update LZ4 compressor module'
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2017 17:38:13 +0100

On 2017-03-01 at 20:45:21 +0100, Guenter Roeck <linux@roeck-us.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 07:58:17PM +0100, Sven Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi Guenter, Tobias and Sandra,
> >
> > thanks for your effort here.

> > It seems a bit strange that code which is not actually called causes problems like that.
> >
> Yes, it is, though it is always possible. The code isn't exactly easy to
> understand; there may be some hidden caveats such as global variables. It may
> also be that some jump target exceeds its range (though why that would only
> be seen with the LZ4 code is another question), or that the compiler gets
> confused by the forced inlines (disabling that didn't make a difference,
> though, nor did disabling -O3).
>
> > Please let me know if and how I may help you figure out what's happening, especially
> > regarding the differences between the previous LZ4 and the current implementation.
> >

> For my part I am all but clueless. Unless someone has an idea, we may to
> disable LZ4 support for nios2 for the time being. Does anyone have thoughts
> on that ? Of course, that would not help if the problem also affects
> recent gcc/binutil versions on other architectures.

After some further investigations, I'd say this isn't "caused" by LZ4
specifically but by a more general problem with one of the nios2 arch
specific tools involved.

I manually enabled random additional CONFIG_* options and in some cases
I got the kernel to boot (with CONFIG_RD_LZ4 enabled and no return
-EINVAL in place) while in others I didn't. So I'd rather suspect this
problem to be connected to the size or structure of the generated vmlinux
image.

Or could this even be a problem with qemu? Did anyone already verify
this on the 10m50 devboard? (Unfortunately I don't have any nios2
devboard available right now, otherwise I would have done this...)

Other than that I'm also becoming all but clueless... One option I
thought of was using the QEMU monitor to dump the CPU state after the
hang but so far I didn't manage to get it to work (hints appreciated ;)

Thanks
Tobias