From: afzal mohammed <afzal.mohd.ma@gmail.com>
To: David Miller <davem@davemloft.net>
Cc: f.fainelli@gmail.com, linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: vger.kernel.org mail queue issue?
Date: Tue, 2 May 2017 18:59:47 +0530	[thread overview]

Hi,

On Mon, May 01, 2017 at 10:50:57AM -0400, David Miller wrote:
> From: afzal mohammed <afzal.mohd.ma@gmail.com>
> > On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 09:07:35PM -0500, David Miller wrote:
> >> From: Florian Fainelli <f.fainelli@gmail.com>

> >> Nope, in fact I've been aggressively removing bouncers lately
> >> and trying to keep the system running efficiently.
> >>
> >> I kind of suspect that google has ramped up their rate limiting
> >> settings a little bit on gmail.
> >>
> >> I'll try to keep an eye out.
> >
> > Seems gmail again is receiving mails with a delay, the last received
> > lk mail has date as 30 Apr 2017 08:23:50 +0300, while here it is
> > around 01 May 2017 17:10 + 0530. And lkml archives has a lot of mails
> > after that.

> There is really nothing I can do about this.
>
> The problem is that GMAIL has extremely restrictive rate limiting.  It
> really is insufficient for absorbing the rate at which postings are
> made on the lists during the busiest times of the day.  And when the
> rate it exceeded, the gmail accounts in question simply drop postings
> for a certain period of time.
>
> So I have to intentionally back off the rate at which vger.kernel.org
> queues up to GMAIL accounts.
>
> If I let it go at full speed then half of the postings would get
> dropped and people would miss content.

Thanks much for handling it the way you are now, it at least helps in
getting all mails instead of missing.

The last time even before Florian reported the issue, i was seeing it,
but initially thought it was a problem related to my account, tried
unsubscribe & subscribe, contacting list owner etc, none did help,
only upon seeing Florian's mail, did realize that it was a generic
GMAIL issue.

> Complain to GMAIL if you dislike this but I have tried in the past and
> they have no intention of increasing their default posting rate
> limits.

Don't know whether you had done some changes, now able to get mails in
realtime. Next time upon seeing this kind of issue will request GMAIL,
irrespective of the outcome, i will do my part.

And thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards
afzal