On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 09:51:52AM +0100, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote: > On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 10:38:37AM +0200, Marcin Wojtas wrote: > > > > Can you be 100% sure that when using SGMII with PHY's (like Marvell > > Alaska 88E1xxx series), is in-band link information always available? > > I'd be very cautious with such assumption and use in-band management > > only when set in the DT, like mvneta. I think phylib can properly can > > do its work when MDIO connection is provided on the board. > > There is another issue to be aware of: if you're wanting to use flow > control autonegotiation, that is not carried across SGMII's in-band > signalling. If you want to use SGMII's in-band signalling for the > duplex and speed information, you still need phylib's notification > to properly set the flow control. > > > Switching mvpp2 to use phylink (which is needed for the 1G SFP slot on > mcbin) will handle all this for you - dealing with both in-band and > out-of-band negotiation methods, and combining them in the appropriate > manner for the selected operation mode. > So probably the best move here is to remove this patch, and wait for the phylink support in the PPv2 driver. Thanks! Antoine -- Antoine Ténart, Free Electrons Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering http://free-electrons.com