Hi! > It is common for services to be stateless around their main event loop. > If a process sets PR_SET_IDLE to PR_IDLE_MODE_KILLME then it > signals to the kernel that epoll_wait() and friends may not complete, > and the kernel may send SIGKILL if resources get tight. > > See my systemd patch: https://github.com/shawnl/systemd/tree/prctl > > Android uses this memory model for all programs, and having it in the > kernel will enable integration with the page cache (not in this > series). > > 16 bytes per process is kinda spendy, but I want to keep > lru behavior, which mem_score_adj does not allow. When a supervisor, > like Android's user input is keeping track this can be done in user-space. > It could be pulled out of task_struct if an cross-indexing additional > red-black tree is added to support pid-based lookup. Having android-like system for low memory killing might be interesting... but rather than throwing around patches maybe there should be discussion on lkml how the interface should look like, first? Pavel -- (english) http://www.livejournal.com/~pavelmachek (cesky, pictures) http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html