On 2017-12-21, Eric W. Biederman wrote: > Good point about CAP_DAC_OVERRIDE on files you own. > > I think there is an argument that you are playing dangerous games with > the permission system there, as it isn't effectively a file you own if > you can't read it, and you can't change it's permissions. This problem reminds me of the whole "unmapped group" problem. If you have access to a file through an unmapped group you can still access a file -- which to me is wrong. I understand the need for checking unmapped groups in order to fix the "chmod 707" problem, but I think that unmapped groups should only *block* access and never *grant* it. I was working on a patch for that issue a while ago but it touched more VFS than I was comfortable with. Eric, is that a fix you would be interested in? -- Aleksa Sarai Senior Software Engineer (Containers) SUSE Linux GmbH